Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Need to dry malt?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Need to dry malt?

Just a quick question my gf actually brought up when I was drying home-malted GF grains for my last batch: I'd been taking up her oven (and using her electricity) for about 2 days trying to get my malt to dry at the right temps, when she just asked, "if you're just going to add water right back to it, what's the point of getting it all dry?" I covered my ass explaining about how roasted/toasted malts have different characteristics, but... Honestly do I gain anything like flavor/aroma compounds by drying my base malt?

Just to clarify, I'm just referring to grains in a Homebrew setting that could go from sprouting vessel to mash tun in a few seconds, obviously there would be storage issues with wet grain.

Gypsy Head Brewing Company
"I promise never to drink any more... but just as much." - Buster Keaton
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts

Mashing freshly sprouted grain was normal practice for thousands of years. It works.

You can make caramelized malts in a couple hours, starting with wet malted grain.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yes, kilning malt to dry it produces a different flavor than if you were to just immediately mash it.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say that kilning the grain allows the rootlets to dry and is easier break off, cause you probably don't want that in your mash, since it won't contribute anything desirable.

I guess it'd help more to see what applies to barley.
Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.