brewing with chocolate - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > brewing with chocolate

Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
BrewDey
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Cincinnati
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've seen several recipes that call for cocoa or even chocolate bars...mainly for sweet/chocolate stouts. What would be the best way to incorporate this? Into the boil? Into the secondary?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

many many ways, I recommend doing a search, quite a few threads on the topic. I, personally, am keen to cocoa powder (100% no additives/sugars/etc.). I usually add to secondary, if not enough at bottling time, I'll put a little more in before bottling. Always boil a little water first and add th powder to that, then add the chocolate water to the brew.

You can add at boiling time as well. A little cocoa and lactose can make for an excellent addition to a stout

Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #3
Kayos
Recipes 

Dec 2006
Santa Clarita, SoCal
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have put 8-12oz bakers cocoa powder in the last couple minutes of the boil. Using sweet chocolate or a chocolate bar makes it a pain with all the fat that floats. That won't make it sweet, just have a nice chocolate after taste, like double chocolate stouts. To make it sweet, add lactose. I did the Jamil choc hazelnut porter from B3 and loved it. Next time I would do a little less crystal and a little more chocolate. It had a little bit of a sweet "edge" to it. I would rather have it be more creamy....hmmmm..lactose maybe. Hope this helps!

**seefresh beat me to it**

Old 06-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
thebikingengineer
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Redlands, California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To get the best flavor out of it you'll want to use dutch-process(ed) cocoa. It's had the oils removed, so you won't have to worry about head retention or anything like that.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #5
ChuckVelvet
Recipes 

Aug 2006

I've tried cacao nibs 'dry-hopped' in the secondary...good stuff, nice dry chocolate flavor (not sweet) but you have to keep your amounts low. I added 2oz to a recipe I've run before, and it was a lot less subtle than I expected. Nonetheless, good head retention (no oils) with an excellent chocolate/'nutty' flavor.