Decoction questions - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Decoction questions

Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
iMac6
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Brewer, ME

Do I have to pull off grain and liquid for a decoct, or can I just draw off liquid through the spigot on my cooler mash tun and heat that up?

Also, is a decoct essentially interchangeable with a step mash? I can't do a step mash easily in my cooler mash run, but by pulling off the liquid and doing a decoct like I said above, I can more easily step up my temps. Am I crazy or does this work?
On Deck: 'Sappy Maple' Brown Ale

Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
NYC / Kathmandu
Liked 1473 Times on 975 Posts

Decoctions are traditionally done by heating liquid and grain together. You can use them to accomplish the same ends as a step infusion mash, but they're certainly not interchangeable.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts

One reason you pull off a thick mash as opposed to just liquid, is that the enzymes responsible for converting starches to sugars are in the liquid. If you draw off too much of the liquid to do a step mash, you are hurting the effectiveness of your saccharification rest. It is fine if your goal in stepping up is to go from saccharification to mash out temps, since you are trying to denature the enzymes for mash out anyway, and in fact most of the time you will only draw off liquid for that decoction step.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 554 Times on 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
One reason you pull off a thick mash as opposed to just liquid, is that the enzymes responsible for converting starches to sugars are in the liquid. If you draw off too much of the liquid to do a step mash, you are hurting the effectiveness of your saccharification rest. It is fine if your goal in stepping up is to go from saccharification to mash out temps, since you are trying to denature the enzymes for mash out anyway, and in fact most of the time you will only draw off liquid for that decoction step.
Bingo. Right on. Totally agree.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Oct 2011
, Pa
Liked 169 Times on 114 Posts

It would be good if you pay attention to the mash Ph if you're considering decoction procedures.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
iMac6
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Brewer, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladOfTrub View Post
It would be good if you pay attention to the mash Ph if you're considering decoction procedures.
How does the mash pH effect the decoction?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
jbsg02
Recipes 

Dec 2010
garland, tx
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts

Here's a video BrewingTV did about decoction mashing.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7727 Times on 5425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac6 View Post
How does the mash pH effect the decoction?
A too-high mash pH is problematic on its own, but combined with boiling grain, a too high mash pH will pull excess tannins from the grain.