first brew question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannypack

Reaction score
I just racked my brew into secondary after 7 days, which from reading the forum I've got mixed readings. Went from 1.072 to 1.018 in that time.. brew instructions say I should rack to secondary before the fermentation is complete which I know has slowed but not completed. Just curious what the pros have to say about that method.

I am doing a nut brown ale which I kept around 68° for the duration of that 7 days, partial mash if that matters. Thoughts?

What is your reason for using a secondary? I use secondary fermenters if I'm oaking or racking onto something else, like fruit. When I do, I wait for the SG to bottom out and hold steady for at least 3 days. Don't go by arbitrary timelines, SG will tell you everything you need to know.

Anyhow, your brew will turn out fine.

You'll be good to go...I usually just primary mine for about 4 weeks....

But if you feel comfortable using a secondary...go for it...

I imagine the reason they say to do it before primary is totally finished is so it can produce a nice CO2 barrier on top of it...

@tchfunkta is 100% correct. Forget arbitrary directions. The most important thing I can say is brew what you want. It's your beer. Do research, study styles, study yeast characteristics, and go for it. Kits are very helpful while starting out, but just be sure you follow your own brew process to get the results you want.

arbitrary directions

Hmmm...an oxymoran if I've ever seen one!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't think that the directions are WRONG. They aren't. There is more than one way to brew a beer, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the kit directions in this case. Racking to secondary is certainly a viable and proven method.

HOWEVER, you don't HAVE to. Most modern brewers just leave it in primary unless you are adding fruit or some other secondary sugar source. A good rule of thumb is THREE weeks in primary, then bottle/keg, but just note that every fermentation is different, and some may take sightly longer, especially bigger beers. The only way to know is a hydrometer reading. It looks like you are at FG, so you're good there, BUT also note that even after you have reached FG, your yeast then start a phase where they go back and eat impurites and byproducts in your beer, making it a cleaner, clearer beer. This phase takes place for a good 4-5 days after FG is complete. Even after that phase is complete, the beer will just start bulk conditioning processes, so no harm in leaving a beer in the primary fermentor for 4-5+ weeks.

Just use the general 3-3-3 rule for most beers under about 1.06 OG:

THREE weeks in primary
THREE weeks in bottle to carb/condition
THREE days in the fridge before you serve.

Anything over 1.06ish, just note that carb will probably take more time. Your current 1.072 may take a good 4-6 weeks to carb properly.

Practice this on all of your beers and you should make some quality products.

Amen to @TopherM, using directions is great but they're flexible to the beer you're brewing. The 3-3-3 rule is a good start. I use a 4-2-2-3 (weeks primary, weeks secondary if needed, weeks bottle, days fridge) but only because that's what I've come to use. Congrats on your first brew - I'm sure it'll be great!

wow i didnt expect this many replies so soon! looks like im in the right place. :D

thanks for all the input! you know ive been reading a lot lately about the benefits of the self cleaning action the yeast appear to have, but it still seems to be a source of a lot of debate. i honestly dont have much of an opinion on it obviously since i dont have much experience.. but im sure ill figure that part out soon enough.

one thing, topher, that you mentioned is something i havent found a lot of information on yet.. which was how the OG affects carb times.

on a side note.. when i cracked the lid to my bucket (which was the first time id done so since sealing it) the aroma that came out of that thing put the biggest smile on my face. and after measuring the SG i took a few sips from the tube and i cant wait for this thing to be bottled and ready to drink.. so good! as it stands right now im looking at around 7.1% ABV... though im curious how that might change from now until bottling time.

thanks for the responses!

one thing, topher, that you mentioned is something i havent found a lot of information on yet.. which was how the OG affects carb times.

Yeast get sluggish in higher alcohol environments, so the higher your OG = Higher ABV = sluggish yeast come carbonation time. They'll still get the work done, but they just do it exponentially slower the more alcohol in the beer. Belgian Quads/Barleywines and the type over 10% ABV have been known to take 3-6 MONTHS to carb up.

Your 7.1% brew is going to take a good 4-6 weeks at room temp to reach proper carbonation levels. Carbonation is all personal preference, though, so if I were you I'd let it carb for 3 weeks, then start putting one a week in the fridge and checking the carb levels each week, then start drinking them all once it suits your tastes.

Mark my words, though, the last beer you have will be the best one!

Put one in fridge after 1 week..green flat beer is better then no beer! Plus you'll get to see and taste the process...

Why do I only primary? Opinions...no risk of infection...no....I'm just to lazy to want to wash another item and sanitize it...and it still works great...

Back