Oh. Nice job on your paddle.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Astoria, NY
Liked 2123 Times on 1408 Posts

Question: My father is a journeyman carpenter who is homebound because he is taking care of both of his parents (both with alzheimers). He's looking for something he can do at home to bring in some cash, and I was wondering if custom paddles could have a market? I know he wouldnt be the only game in town, but do you think they could conceivably sell?

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
Gear101
Recipes 

Nov 2010
USA
Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Question: My father is a journeyman carpenter who is homebound because he is taking care of both of his parents (both with alzheimers). He's looking for something he can do at home to bring in some cash, and I was wondering if custom paddles could have a market? I know he wouldnt be the only game in town, but do you think they could conceivably sell?
there is a board spouncer that you can look up, it get an idea.
Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #14
ylpaul2000
Recipes 

Nov 2011
St. Charles, Illinois
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I would still recommend oiling the wood well before use. I teach woodworking classes and have for years as my primary profession. The oil will not seal the wood but it will prevent the liquid from soaking into the wood during use, as long as you rinse and wipe it dry. Here is one I just made on my 40 inch lathe earlier this week. I used butcher block oil and laid on 1 heavy coat and two lighter coats. I have many paddles and the ones that don't have oil never last nearly as long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4292080964.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	51587

Old 03-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
SaevaVeritas
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pretty! Puts mine to shame. Although I don't have access to a lathe!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
1KD1
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Kansas City, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
I hate working with wood but I considered building one just to have a "custom" paddle. The plain ones at the LHBS are around $40 (from what I have seen). I would pay a little more for something that was custom but wouldn't want to pay twice as much. Plus having to figure in shipping on such a large item. I believe that he would have to make something neater than LHBS but get it to the masses without costing much more. If that was possible, I would buy one. Especially if he could "burn in" text of the customer's choosing.

If he wants to try it, I'll sign up for one.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Astoria, NY
Liked 2123 Times on 1408 Posts

I just let dad know about it, and he seemed stoked. He's going to do some research, and maybe in the near future Ill get him in contact with you.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
1KD1
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Kansas City, Missouri

Cool. I hope things work out for him.