Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting. Where/what syringes did you buy?

Maybe I can get my GF to bring them home from work.

You might be able to pick them up at a pharmacy, some states allow you to get those w/o prescription. Your LHBS may have them as well, if they carry hydroponic growing supplies like the ones around here do.

Yakimas extract come in syringes, I've ordered there before. They don't come with caps though.

I'd be down to start a new Heady Topper- Can You Clone It type thread in the recipe area. Maybe we can start it with the summary post we had there?

Yakimas extract come in syringes, I've ordered there before. They don't come with caps though.

I'd be down to start a new Heady Topper- Can You Clone It type thread in the recipe area. Maybe we can start it with the summary post we had there?

Yeah, the ones I got didn't have caps either, they we just put back into the sleeve they came in and then sealed in a bag.

Xpert, there's always that option, but it might cut into your drinking and brewing budget a tad. :D

I don't have much to contribute to this thread as far as experience (I've only ever had one HT and it was by far the best DIPA I've ever had) but I do appreciate all of the legwork you guys are doing to get this clone off the ground. It looks like a lot of progress has been made (much to the chagrin of a certain 'bitter' poster). Did anyone else get a chance to look at the HT clone recipe in the new BYO magazine? The guy used simcoe, cascade, centennial, apollo, columbus, chinook and citra. I know citra is out of the question since HT was around before citra was released, and Kimmich has compared it to a sledgehammer, but there are 6 in there otherwise. Who knows? If it's not a clone, I'm sure it turns out a tasty DIPA nonetheless. Of course, I would sub the yeast w/ Conan if I could.

For those who cannot get hop extract, or dont want to hunt it down, I used Magnum on my clone and I found that to be "sufficient" as a clean bittering hop. Love Magnum actually, use it to bitter 90% of my beers so I might be based.

I do the same. 90+minutes isn't really going to impart a noticeable degree of flavor, and it's definitely a clean bitterness. I only use hop extract for tweaking a recipe post-fermentation. Just because Kimmich uses it doesn't mean it's necessary or even necessarily a good thing.

Which leads to my other point, that people are going about this cloning thing all wrong. I REALLY hate that I'm agreeing with bobbrews (because of the general inanity of his posts), but it doesn't help to blindly restrict one's own ingredients/processes to what the original brewer says they do/use - EVEN IF they're telling the truth. It seems to me that cloning efforts are often HINDERED by the (incomplete) information or hints one gathers. For a homebrewer to end up with as close a clone of any commercial beer as is at all possible on their own system, you can pretty much EXPECT that recipes are not going to be identical. Even if we had the exact recipe, it's all but certain that it could be tweaked to produce an even more faithful clone.

I haven't had Heady (yet... but it's at the very top of my list), so I can't contribute much so far. I will, however, strongly suggest that the better brewers among those with access to it (particularly those who have an extensive ingredient identification/selection knowledge-base to draw from) should BY ALL MEANS deviate from what we're supposed to "know" about the recipe, if that's what their gut is telling them.

So when are they going to start selling it? I really wish we could get some lab to do it so it'd be available for everyone. It's a great unique yeast. I did talk to White Labs and they said they can't sell it unless the brewer gives permission.

I missed this post yesterday, if White Labs wont sell it I am sure ECY will not either.

I think that system/process info would be useful, both in terms of recipe formulation and communicating results. Lets say, for the sake of argument, that they whirlpool 15 minutes, rest 15 minutes, take another 30+ to knock out, losing only a few degrees in the process. Drastically different from most of our setups. Think about temperature, time, agitation, and dial it in on your system until it tastes right.

Great thread, and good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back