Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Heady Topper
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #721
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

So my postings here and on my blog have been all over the place, because the recipe is changing all the time. I settled on something close 90/5/5 for this 2nd attempt, but it might have been more like 90/6/4/, Pearl/Munich/Dextrose. Was going to do all Pearl, but once I got the right lovibond in there for my new batch of Pearl, it wasn't dark enough and I pulled a draft off the ol' kegerator and didn't think my 1st attempt was sweet enough. I didn't think going even less munich and sugar would have been a good idea. I did drop the carapils though.

I haven't dry hopped, but I did 70IBUs of hopshot (1st attempt wasn't bitter enough). Hops change was due to too little orange and too much grapefruit. Not talking huge problems here, just minor things I wanted to adjust.

5 minute addition was 1 ounce each of Simcoe, Cascade, and 0.75 of Centennial. 0.5 of Chinook and Columbus, and 0.25 of Nugget. Total 4 ounces.
Whirlpool was the same at 180-185 for 30 minutes.

Dryhop will be very similar. So far, side by side of the tester and clone 1 I did yesterday and my brewed batch is more orange and less grapefruit. I think the bitterness is correct. Per beersmith, with my whirlpool entered as a 6 minute editions for each hop, I was at 125.5IBU.

I know I said I was going to do Amarillo, but I felt a lack of cascade was my problem. If I'm not there yet, I will actually do Amarillo next time.

I will also say that Skinnypete is definitely onto something with the sweetness. It's not quite right with my malt bill, too dry. I don't think I addressed it in my 2nd attempt because I wasn't really sure what to do and didn't have enough time to research ideas. I'll see if this extra citrus I'm getting can help the perception of sweetness, if not, I'll be changing the grain bill again.

People Like This 
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #722
LakesideBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPete View Post
Just a follow-up on my latest attempt. My first tasting after 10 days in primary was pretty spot on..very exciting. Might have been a little less bitter, and maybe slightly less citrusy, but really close. The aroma from the whirlpooling was insane - like I had already dry hopped. Aroma was near perfect - fruity with a hint of pungent pine hops. I left it in primary for 4 more days and racked to secondary. Going into secondary, no more aroma. In 4 days, just completely gone. The taste changed quite a bit too. Pungent pine hops mellowed and the alcohol punch came through pretty strong, after only going down from 1.015 to 1.012 in 4 days. Still good, but I'm now thinking I may be less close than I first thought, but still too early to tell. Still has a very Heady taste...but not strong enough I don't think. I'm going to do the second round of dry-hopping right in the keg, then cold crash and chill for a week or so. I'll update again when it is done.
If you want to do a side by side tasting with some fresh Heady, I got some. We're in the same town, PM me if you are interested.

-Mike

Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #723
chutracheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks Vegan

Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #724
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 50 Posts

Sounds like a great beer, looking forward to more great info and hopefully trying to brew something similar.

Did anyone figure out if this yeast is a lager, ale or combo of each? the yeast sounds like it plays a huge role.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #725
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
Sounds like a great beer, looking forward to more great info and hopefully trying to brew something similar.

Did anyone figure out if this yeast is a lager, ale or combo of each? the yeast sounds like it plays a huge role.
I think it's safe to say it is not a lager yeast. False alarm.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #726
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

I will also say I think the recipes I've tried are close enough that I really won't be able to tell much more how close they are without a side by side of a fresh can. I'm going to have to get a trade going.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #727
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1081 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

My first attempt is brewed and chugging away. Mashed at 149 with the ~90/5/5 grain bill. Hit 1.068. ~6 ml of Shot, 3 hops adds; at 5 min, knockout (20 min stand) and then a second stand with the third add from ~200 down to ~185 (~30 mins). Very interesting brew, the break material was like none other and the fermenter really does resemble the color of khaki pants or Bailey's. Kinda psyched...

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #728
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Just for fun, what is everyone's opinion on solving a possible sweetness issue? We know SkinnyPete's, what about everyone else? Not sure if my 2nd attempt will have the same problem or if it even is a problem, but if it is, I'm all ears for fixes. If it really does end at 1.010 and we assume somewhere around 85%+ of Pearl, what can be done to sweeten it up a bit?

I'm thinking now I might split this batch before I dryhop so I can test out adding Amarillo again.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #729
LakesideBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 276

I built up a nice starter of Conan, but didn't have time to brew, so I let my friend use it. He has a great DIPA recipe so he figured he would just brew that but ferment with Conan. I guess I forgot to tell him that Conan does best at cooler temps (60-62). His brew is one week in and he said the yeast kicked ass, but the beer tastes like peach. Not a little peach, a ton of peach! Be careful with your temps! As always, it's very important!

-Mike

Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #730
SkinnyPete
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde View Post
I guess I forgot to tell him that Conan does best at cooler temps (60-62). His brew is one week in and he said the yeast kicked ass, but the beer tastes like peach. Not a little peach, a ton of peach! Be careful with your temps! As always, it's very important!

-Mike
Interesting. I had the opposite experience. My last attempt, I ended up with 6.5gal of wort so I threw 1 gallon in a jug and fermented warm (71) to see the difference. I felt the cooler temp (64-ish) was much peachier than the 71. They both finished at 1.012 from a starting of 1.072 (little high), but the 71 had less fruity flavor and a much harsher alcohol bite. The 71 was also much clearer. Who knows if there was some other unknown factor here, but that's what I experienced.

Vegan, how long did you let yours cold condition before the flavor actually stayed consistent. Mine is all over the place. Seems like every other day, when I taste it - it's a different beer. As I said, first taste after 10 days was amazingly close...since then, every day gets further away. It's been cold conditioning in a keg for only 2 days but it's gone from "not bitter enough" going into the keg to a very harsh piney bitterness. I've seen hoppy beers change from day to day, but this one is all over the board. I'm not going to touch it for a week and let things mellow out.

Closed Thread