Tips on keeping the Mrs. happy - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips on keeping the Mrs. happy

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Central MN
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts

I support her hobby (horses) & she supports mine (beer). Easy.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Rivenin
Recipes 

Dec 2010
McMinnville, Oregon
Liked 326 Times on 253 Posts

i let her know when i want to brew and make sure we have nothing else to do, and i usually wake up early and clean up as i go... only thing she has complaints on is when i'm done with cleanup and leave it for a few hours to dry, but it's mostly crap givings.
other then that, i do major cleaning the night before, usually try and make her breakfast and make dinner that night as well (which i also clean up haha)

she honestly enjoys the process... as long as i don't get too out of hand talking about it, i try and keep it to a minimum of "be back in a bit, gotta go sparge" or "strike water is heating".

and i dont complain when she starts talking about hair color or new makeup
Kegged Berlinerweisse - Centennial blonde with Huell Mellon hops - same blonde but dry hopped with ella
240v - 4500w electric two tier

Old 03-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
bmick
Recipes 

Apr 2011
New York, NY
Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

There are a few things I do to make this work, and we live in a 700 sq ft apt with no outdoor space, so it's WORK.

One, my SWMBO is awesome. So get one of those.

Secondly, the real thing is the time. 4 hours is my usual runtime for a standard gravity, 60 min boil. So I try to rise early on weekends and have it all wrapped up before noon while she sleeps in, then make sure the kitchen gets a very, very thorough cleaning after brewing. Nobody likes a messy kitchen.

Also, SWMBO likes certain beers, like RIS, Quads, and Trippels, so there are always some of those in the pipe. I like them too, which helps.

Lastly, It's a hobby. Treat it as such. Meaning make sure it's not higher on the priority list than things that should really matter, like family/SWMBO time, work, and drinking.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
zacster
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts

I always point out that the kitchen is cleaner after I brew than it ever otherwise is. Sanitized too.

She enjoys the beer as much as I do.

Make beer that she likes too.

Point out that at least you're home and not out drinking, and likely to stay home to drink your own beer.

Get her drunk too.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
tchfunkta
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Lexington, KY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post

Get her drunk too.
^^ This helps big time!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just invite her to help. My wife isn't exactly a beer connoisseur but she enjoys helping on brew day. But then again she goes fly fishing with me too... So maybe she is just awesome!

Seriously though, she will be more excited about the beer if she helped make it. And she will probably be less annoyed by the mess if she helped make it! Win - win.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I forgot to mention that my wife also uses some of my spent grains to make delicious homemade bread. Win - win - win!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
WestCoastHopper
Recipes 

May 2009
Victoria, British Columbia
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I schedule brew days up to a month ahead in her calendar, and take our oldest child outside with me. Everyone wins. The boy plays "trucks", the wife gets a bit of a break, and I get a brew.
Primary 3 Air
KeggedApfelwein, Air :(
Bottled Apfelwein, Da Yopper Pale

Old 03-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #19
Nightstalker
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Murfreesboro, TN
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Also dont clean your brewing equipment better than you do the dishes. At least dont let her see you doing a better job on the brewing equipment. Next time you leave a touch of caked on spaghetti sauce on the plate, she will remind you of how your were breaking a sweat to get that "glass jar thing" squeaky clean. And it came out spotless so why not these dishes

40BelowBrewing Likes This 
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #20
iaefebs
Recipes 

Aug 2010
West Coast, MI
Liked 245 Times on 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I always point out that the kitchen is cleaner after I brew than it ever otherwise is.
The single worst piece of advice I have ever heard.