Oak chips. To dump with or without bourbon? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oak chips. To dump with or without bourbon?

Old 01-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
cayergeau
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Bedford, NH

Never had Founders, but it's on my list of things to try, although locally I only have the Dirty Bastard, rather than the Backwoods Bastard.

And I do like the idea of a scotch ale, I'll have to get some to have my brother try out. The only one that I've had is the Old Chub from Oscar Blues, which was phenomenal. However I think regardless at this point, I'm going to end up making a real big IPA with oak cubes. ALL FOR ME though. Something I can let sit until this summer when it will have aged a bit. Any recipe suggestions?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
mhot55
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Staten island, Ny
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Made an allagash curieux clone. Had oak cubes covered in couple oz bourbon. Initially just added the oak cubes. The bourbon came through well. At kegging, added a splash (and I mean splash- maybe an ounce) to the keg. It is perfect.
Point is, the lighter the beer (tends to have less roasted/ caramelmalts) the less I would add. Just start off with the soaked cubes, then add very small additions. However with the cubes soaked in bourbon, that may be enough. For a darker , more roasty beer- porter/ stout- you might want to add some of the bourbon (I added 2 oz. to my vanilla bourbon porter). But you need to be careful. There is a fine line from just enough/ perfect to overpowering.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #23
IanJ
Recipes 

Feb 2011
NY
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

The last recipe I tried at 3 gallons, I used about .7 oz of oak chips soaked in bourbon, added to the batch for 4 days without the liquid... and it tasted great. It wasn't overwhelming, just enough of an oak hint.

Next time, I'll probably have let it sit a bit longer, or add more oak for the same period of time, but it was a good experiment.