Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Lids blown off brew buckets

Old 06-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
Shovhed1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Lids blown off brew buckets

I guess I went a little overboard with my yeast starter. I made a 15 gallon batch of pale ale yesterday. This morning, the lids were lying on the floor and beer was all over the walls. Did I loose this batch? I never had this happen before.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6033 Times on 4302 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

No, it will be fine. Resanitize the lid and use a blow off tube until fermentation slows down. (Just use some sanitized tubing that fits in the airlock hole- and then run that tubing down into a pitcher filled with water or sanitizer)

You can do a search on here on blow off tubes if I"m not explaining that right- it seems to make sense to me but I've been told that sometimes my explanations aren't very clear!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
fritz_monroe
Recipes 

Here is a thread about using a blow off tube with a bucket. There's a good picture of a way to connect up the blow off tube.

Check out my homestead blog

Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
travlinScott
Recipes 

Likes Given: 12

Hey, i in my case the lid didn't come totally off but just popped up off the bucket part way. It's never happened to me before and I was leery of taking it all the way off to re-sanitize. So I just pushed it back in to place. Should I have taken it off and sanitized before putting it back in place? Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed like as good a place as any to jump in.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinScott View Post
Hey, i in my case the lid didn't come totally off but just popped up off the bucket part way. It's never happened to me before and I was leery of taking it all the way off to re-sanitize. So I just pushed it back in to place. Should I have taken it off and sanitized before putting it back in place? Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed like as good a place as any to jump in.

Thanks
you should be fine.