American Pale Ale citra/simcoe/amarillo session pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Lots of tropical and citrus fruit flavor/aroma with mild bitterness. VERY drinkable.
Getting a little sick of brewing up 6%+ beers and only being able to drink 1 or 2 a night. I had a lot of good hops in the fridge and i wanted to brew up something i could drink several glasses of a night without having to worry about feeling like crap in the morning.

Grain bill:
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 59.5 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 26.5 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.6 %
1.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.8 %

Hops:
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.85 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.20 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Yeast:
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

77% efficiency with a no-sparge mashing technique (mashed with ~9.5g of water). Mash at 152. The no-sparge is a potentially important step as most sources suggest you get more malt flavor doing this vs. sparging.

Chilled wort to 61 and pitched yeast. Allowed beer to free-rise to about 65-66 then turn on temp control. After 10 or so days in primary, transfered to secondary and added dry hops. Let it sit at room temp (68) for 6 days. If you have the means, rouse the hops with c02 after 3 days. Slowly cold crash for a couple days then rack to keg and enjoy!

Ended up at 3.3% ABV. Extremely drinkable and very tasty. The wheat gives it great head retention, as can be seen by the pics. Aromatic and crystal malts add just enough flavor to make it seem like you're drinking a normal strength beer.

15632959_large.jpg

15632958_large.jpg

Ive been wanting to play around with citra and amarillo hops. I'm gonna give this one a go

Ive been wanting to play around with citra and amarillo hops. I'm gonna give this one a go

You won't be disappointed, it's a great beer.

BTW, the dryhop amounts were just what i had leftover- they can obviously be adjusted to whatever. I originally planned to do .75oz of each 3 hops until i realized i was short.

3.3%? That's a Colorado Session Ale ;)

I have the ingredients coming in for a Session Pale Ale as well. Pretty similar in style.

4lbs Munich Malt
4lbs 2-row pale
8oz Flaked Wheat

All Cascade in a 20, 15, 10, 5 additions. I will have some Williamette and Styrian Goldings left over from this weekend that I'll dump in for dry hopping.

My SRM is looking like 6. I might have to scrounge up some scrap grain to try and get the beautiful color yours has.

3.3%? That's a Colorado Session Ale ;)

I have the ingredients coming in for a Session Pale Ale as well. Pretty similar in style.

4lbs Munich Malt
4lbs 2-row pale
8oz Flaked Wheat

All Cascade in a 20, 15, 10, 5 additions. I will have some Williamette and Styrian Goldings left over from this weekend that I'll dump in for dry hopping.

My SRM is looking like 6. I might have to scrounge up some scrap grain to try and get the beautiful color yours has.

That sounds pretty good. You should get some nice flavor from using munich as a base malt. The hop aroma is starting to fade on mine (been on tap about 3-4 weeks), but the flavor itself is really starting to shine.

I brewed this beer twice this summer and loved it, so did everyone who tried it! I lieve in souther california and it was a great session beer to have during the hot days we had in here. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm planning on brewing it again but this time I wanna experiment something I've never brewed before. I just bought a bunch of serrano peepers and I think this beer will be perfect for it.
I'm thinking about adding 7 to 10 serranos during the boil, and depending on how it turns out, adding 5 or so more during secondary... I've been trying some really good spicy beers and decided to give this a try. Any thoughts??

Cheers!

I brewed this beer twice this summer and loved it, so did everyone who tried it! I lieve in souther california and it was a great session beer to have during the hot days we had in here. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm planning on brewing it again but this time I wanna experiment something I've never brewed before. I just bought a bunch of serrano peepers and I think this beer will be perfect for it.
I'm thinking about adding 7 to 10 serranos during the boil, and depending on how it turns out, adding 5 or so more during secondary... I've been trying some really good spicy beers and decided to give this a try. Any thoughts??

Cheers!

Try slicing a pepper in half and putting it in a pint of this beer if you already have some made, let it sit for a bit and then try it you will be supprised how much pepper flavor it picks up, that should give an idea of what it will taste like....IMO I dont think pepper beers are a very good session beer.

Btw this looks like a good recipe !

Pat

This looks pretty fun, im gonna try it out! I have a red ale that i came up with that ends up around 4% and tastes like ur drinking a big beer, awesome for those days you just wanna drink all day!

I'm also playing around with the idea of a low gravity hoppy pale ale. Personally, I'm shooting for 4-4.5% ABV with a bitterness ratio of about .75. Right now I've got a pretty basic recipe with cascade and galaxy hops. This looks great too though, bet you can pound a bunch of them.

So i am gonna try the no sparge method just because i never have and it seems kinda cool... Can anyone tell me why exactly this method brings out more malty character than a regular sparge brew?? Thanks!!

I brewed this beer and had and accidental nap during the mash. Mashed for an extra thirty minutes and it fermented out all the way to 1.006. Drinking it now though and it is still great, I just will have coffee brewing as well on my next brew day.

I've made a beer like this, and really loved it. I did no sparge, think it was a good way to do this, without the sparge you don't overextract tannins and it's said you get a maltier beer because of it. Not sure, but use the process on any beer where i can fit all the water and grain in my 10gal cooler.

I hop bursted with about 4 oz of hops (all galaxy) in the last 15 minutes and 2.5 oz of dry hops. Great beer. amazing aroma, good flavor, didn't taste like a 3.8% beer. plan on making it again this weekend with cascade and citra.

I think this style is an awesome way to play with hops, if you can get the maltiness, and not dry it out too much (1.014-1.016 or so) you can add a ton of hops and they really shine. Gotta be honest, I think i like this beer better than my IPA's, maybe my IPA's suck, but i really like being able to drink this beer all afternoon/day.

This looks tasty! Definitely Ganna brew this!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just brewed today - with a couple minor hops changes. Can't wait to try it! Love the color

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewing this today! Will cut the bittering hops and add more towards the end. Aiming for 30-35ish IBU. Using WLP051 California Ale V to ferment it with. Hoping the yeast will add some more body and fruityness to this beer! Really excited to see how it turns out!

I just tried a bottle of this, a week prior to full conditioning, and I'm astonished. I haven't liked the commercial session pale ales and IPA's I've tried, but like you I wanted a lower alcohol beer, and your recipe intrigued me. I didn't use the no-sparge method, I just did my normal batch sparge, nor did I cold-crash, and it still turned out amazingly well. Thank you for an excellent recipe.

I was wondering if this recipe would benefit by raising the mash temperature up to 156° F. or even 158°. Would more unfermentable sugars increase the mouthfeel and maltiness? I know that Red Rock Brewery in Salt Lake City, having to keep their beers under 4% a.b.v. by law, have had success with higher mash temperatures with lower alcohol levels.

Back