Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Dishwasher to clean bottles

Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
gmarcucio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dishwasher to clean bottles

I'm new to brewing and was wondering if you can put the bottles in a dishwasher to give them the initial cleaning (not to sanitize) before sanitizing before you bottle? Will the water get up into the bottles good enough in a dishwasher? Does anyone do this now?
Thanks

Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
xdalisx
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

What I do is clean them by hand and make sure no yeast or beer is left. This I usually do right after pouring the beer that used to be in them. When I am ready to bottle I run a short cycle through my dish washer (no detergent), then I load up my bottles and run a full cycle (again, no detergent) and switch on the heat dry. Then I bottle right out of the dishwasher. The bottles get to about 180 for extended periods which sanitizes. been doing this since I started and have had zero issues.

the water does get up into the interior (atleast in my dishwasher) so this would work for cleaning as well, unless you have a bunch of junk stuck in there, then they might need a little more work.

On Deck Pale Test Recipe
Fermenting Nothing :(
Kegged Parvulus Amber Ale
Kegged Magnirostris IPA

Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2921 Times on 2525 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

I don't think the dish weasher can spray too well up inside such a small openning to clean them well inside. I soak'em in a bucket of PBW for a couple hours if they've already been delabeled.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Don't over engineer your efforts. Go get a few extra buckets or a rubbermaid tote, fill it with hot water and some PBW. Submerge your bottles over night and you'll be good to go. The trick is to make sure you are rinsing them out well after you drink what's in them. If you do that, an overnight soak in PBW is all you'll ever need

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I wouldn't use the DW to clean, but I like the high heat cycle with no soap for sanitization.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
OlatheSurferDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use real hot water and oxy clean free in the sink. Let them soak then scrub as needed. Rinse real well then let dry. I have switched to washing bottles every once in awhile as I collect them and put foil over top to keep clean. Then when it is bottle time just need to sanitize.

2011 Brewed Total - 22.5 Gal
2012 Brewed Total - 12.5 Gal
2012 Goal - 60 Gal

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Hoosier-Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did my bottles in the dishwasher for the first time last weekend. I rinse them all out well after a pour and just ran them with no soap on the pots and pans cycle and heated dry. I'll see how that turned out in another week or so. Normally I do the Rubbermaid tub and PBW.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I rinse all bottles after pouring a beer. Then I run a bunch of bottles (only bottles) through the wash with dishwasher soap thingy that has jet dry in it and I have zero issue with head retention despite what collective "knowledge" on this website says about it causing it. My bottles are always clean as can be before goin into the starsan.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always rinse my bottles, give them a shake with my thumb on the top and toss them in the dishwasher like any other dirty dish. Then they go into storage in the basement. On bottling day they go in the dishwasher on a sanitizing cycle without siap. Then they get four squirts of star San from the vinator on my bottle tree. Sounds complicated but it takes very little effort and no scrubbing. I also sleep well knowing that everything has been double sanitized.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 880 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I doubt that cleaning the bottles in the dishwasher will do an adequate job.

I wash out the bottles after use.

I then run the bottles through the hot cycle (no sanitize cycle on my machine)
then I use my Vinator with Starsan to sanitize then fill.