Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Best pH meter?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: hays, ks
Posts: 171
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I bought the Milwaukee 600 from a vendor on Amazon (not sure which). When it arrived the probe was completely dry (not sure if that is normal). I could never get a repeatable reading. I ended up throwing it away. I am currently looking at a more expensive model.


mcl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 13,751
Liked 1897 Times on 1482 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
I bought the Milwaukee 600 from a vendor on Amazon (not sure which). When it arrived the probe was completely dry (not sure if that is normal). I could never get a repeatable reading. I ended up throwing it away. I am currently looking at a more expensive model.
I'm pretty sure NIB probes arrive dry, and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions to rehydrate the probe before use. My Hanna pHep 98128 arrived bone dry, but after following their directions it woke up and has been working perfectly...

Cheers!


day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 27,302
Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
I'm pretty sure NIB probes arrive dry, and you have to follow the manufacturers instructions to rehydrate the probe before use. My Hanna pHep 98128 arrived bone dry, but after following their directions it woke up and has been working perfectly...

Cheers!
Same here.
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,685
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

You restore the probe with storage solution correct? Potassium chloride.
Scut_Monkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 13,751
Liked 1897 Times on 1482 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
You restore the probe with storage solution correct?
Correct.

Quote:
Potassium chloride.
Presumably - but chemistry ain't my thang

Cheers!
day_trippr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 27,302
Liked 3632 Times on 2470 Posts
Likes Given: 2419

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Correct.



Presumably - but chemistry ain't my thang

Cheers!
I believe that's what the directions say. Mine ended up calibrating fine are a quick rinse in distilled water.
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 AM   #17
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,685
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

So I pulled the trigger tonight on a Milwaukee mw101 based on Kai's recommendation and people advising to get a meter with good accuracy and resolution. It came to $68 on This site.
http://www.katssafety.com/products/m...ure-meter.aspx

I was able to get ph buffer and storage solution from amazon also. Ill post back and tell how it's working.
Scut_Monkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #18
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 786
Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

You must read the instructions Young Jedi.... Re-hydrate that dry pH probe in 7.01 solution for 3-4 HOURS.... Then turn that bad boy on. It'll wake up and perform.
FredTheNuke is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
sonex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: dillsburg, pa
Posts: 378
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

if your just checking mash ph just save money and get the colorfast strips. I have used both and the maintenance on the meters is a PITA. The strips you just pull out and use them then put them away. The meters need calibrated stored in solution and may still not hold calibration. the strips are easy, convenient,cheap, and accurate enough for checking mash.
sonex is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,685
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex View Post
if your just checking mash ph just save money and get the colorfast strips. I have used both and the maintenance on the meters is a PITA. The strips you just pull out and use them then put them away. The meters need calibrated stored in solution and may still not hold calibration. the strips are easy, convenient,cheap, and accurate enough for checking mash.
Are you adding 0.3 to the reading of the strip? I highly considered them and would have rather had some low maintenance but their lack of accuracy made me decide against them. I wanted a more accurate meter to learn more about ph and then once I know how things react I may switch to the strips.


Scut_Monkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pH meter sdbrew1024 Equipment/Sanitation 10 03-24-2011 07:43 PM
pH meter amrmedic Equipment/Sanitation 3 03-22-2011 05:43 PM
Ph meter Hugh_Jass Equipment/Sanitation 26 01-07-2010 10:06 PM
Vin-O-Meter bkov Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-16-2008 01:38 PM
Ph meter Dark_Ale Equipment/Sanitation 5 07-22-2005 03:44 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS