Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > first rootbeer question...

Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
lissa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first rootbeer question...

i've been thinking about making rootbeer for years. my goal has always been to make it from roots/spices/herbs, but i finally decided to give it a go with extract to see what the process is like. so i picked up a bottle of mccormick's and did a quart in a plastic bottle. i set it to brewing on thursday evening, setting it near a heat vent so it would stay reasonably warm. i watched the bubbling with the delight of a child, lol, and periodically checked the bottle for firmness. all seemed to go right according to schedule. this morning i put it in the fridge to chill.

just opened it...it's yummy, and has a pleasant amount of carbonization but has a definite 'beer' aroma and tastes a little like alcohol.... my question is, am i just smelling/tasting the yeast (i used bread yeast), or is a day and a half long enough for root beer to develop enough alcohol to smell/taste?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5772 Times on 4131 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa View Post
i've been thinking about making rootbeer for years. my goal has always been to make it from roots/spices/herbs, but i finally decided to give it a go with extract to see what the process is like. so i picked up a bottle of mccormick's and did a quart in a plastic bottle. i set it to brewing on thursday evening, setting it near a heat vent so it would stay reasonably warm. i watched the bubbling with the delight of a child, lol, and periodically checked the bottle for firmness. all seemed to go right according to schedule. this morning i put it in the fridge to chill.

just opened it...it's yummy, and has a pleasant amount of carbonization but has a definite 'beer' aroma and tastes a little like alcohol.... my question is, am i just smelling/tasting the yeast (i used bread yeast), or is a day and a half long enough for root beer to develop enough alcohol to smell/taste?
It could very well be the bread yeast. Next time, try a small amount of Red Star Champagne yeast. The alcohol that is present is a minute amount, and I'd have no qualms giving it to children. But bread yeast has a definite funny flavor that I find unpleasant in root beer. I've used McCormick's, and it's usually pretty good.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #3
lissa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It could very well be the bread yeast. Next time, try a small amount of Red Star Champagne yeast. The alcohol that is present is a minute amount, and I'd have no qualms giving it to children. But bread yeast has a definite funny flavor that I find unpleasant in root beer. I've used McCormick's, and it's usually pretty good.

thank you. i'd hoped to be able to get away with the bread yeast, since i have five lbs of it in the freezer, lol. i'll have to head over to the lhbs for some champagne yeast...

lissa
(former michigander--born in saginaw, college in mt pleasant and many years in traverse city before relocating to western pennsylvania)