Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Favorite Base-Malt/Brewers'-Malt Mixes

Old 03-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Chesterbelloc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Favorite Base-Malt/Brewers'-Malt Mixes

With the price of grain so high I am looking to see if any of y'all have any old standbys that you use to cut your grain without affecting too-too much the character of more expensive grains.

...Since I am in Northern Utah, a stone's throw from their facility, I have been ogling Great Western's products, particularly throwing together a mix of their pale-ale and vienna malts to cut my British and Scottish malts with.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 17

totally depends on the recipe as to what grains can be substituted, added, changed, etc. what are you trying to make?
Fermenting: APA

Old 03-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Chesterbelloc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
totally depends on the recipe as to what grains can be substituted, added, changed, etc. what are you trying to make?
I am a British ale brewer... I sometimes do simple Belgians.

I can't but help but think that at about $30 per 50lbs cutting a sack of M.O. or G.P. would drop my costs a little closer to the 1990's levels I remember... Honestly, the last domestic ingredient I used was the Ashburne Mild, for a smash, when it first came to my attention 3 or 4 years ago. IMO, a good malt with great colour.

Great Western Pale
2.6-3.0L - A slightly darker base malt than our Premium 2-row malt due to longer British Pale Ale-style kilning. Contributes a malty complexity to beer flavor and aroma.

I am also seriously intrigued by their crystal malts.... sorta' makes me feel like a low-life crack dealer cutting his product.