Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Filtering my Beer

Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
Zywo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Filtering my Beer

Hey everyone,

So I'm a chemist which leads me to believe that the only way to filter something is with a big ass filter paper and funnel. I think if I pass my beer through filter paper into the bottling bucket that this might be a good way to filter it, BUT, I was curious if I could filter out all the yeast as well and then not get carbonation in my bottles...is this a concern or are yeast way too small to get caught up in filter paper??

Thanks,

David

Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
darkhorse
Recipes 

Howdy, I am also a chemist. I would think I you use a fairly porous paper like a Whatman no. 4 you shouldn't have an issue getting most of your yeast through the paper. You probably would want to use ashless paper as well to reduce the chance of getting anything from the filter into your brew. Of course I am also speaking as a chemist and not a brewer I am sure the is a more efficient way to filter.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

I use a fine mesh strainer to pour the wort & top off water into primary. That gets out hops & grainy small stuff just fine. But not the real fine floury stuff. Given time,the beer will settle out clear or slightly misty in primary. Filtering aftarward might oxygenate it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Zywo
Recipes 

Unionrdr,

Good point about the oxygenation, didn't think about that...perhaps a mesh screen around the end of the racking cane will work, that shouldn't oxygenate it much but would still filter...?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
g0dluvsugly
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I'd be interested to find if anyone has gone this route ever since this discussion? I can't afford a filtration system since I'm not CO2 capable yet, but goddamn, my dry hopping is ****ing cloudy and vegetal. Anymore thoughts?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 2967 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Dry hopping isn't the same as boiling the hop oils into the beer. It does cause some cloudiness from the hop oils mingling with the beer slowly vs boiling. They don't mix in the same way, so you get more arma, but not clear like late boil hopping.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #7
The_Bishop
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 208

If your dry-hopping is vegetal:
1. How much dry hopping?
2. What form, leaf or pellet?
3. How long?
Yes, your point must have been buried deep in that long-winded mass of wharrrgarbl you wrote in your OP.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I don't dryhop everything, but when I do, I dryhop for a week, then cold crash for a week or so, sometimes with gelatin. Results= clear beer. And I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Drinking: Loghouse Honey Porter, February IR,Batch 50 Bock,December Marzen,Black Friday Vienna,Winter Solstice Moon,Ben's Doublealt,Jim's Altbier, Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Waldo Lake Amber,Apricot moon, La Fin de L'Annee, Das Terminator Dopplebock, several others

Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #9
C-Rider

Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Cold crashing is easy, no filter worries, no extra o2 to worry about. My beers come out clear enough to read the label on the glass thru the beer.
Fermenting: SN Celebration Clone
Fermenting:
Bottle Conditioning: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: Choc/Coffee Stout
Bottled in the refer: SN Celebration Clone
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am. Pale Ale(3/28)
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer: Am Imperial Stout(3/11)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 01-22-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
WI_Wino
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zywo View Post
Hey everyone,

So I'm a chemist which leads me to believe that the only way to filter something is with a big ass filter paper and funnel. I think if I pass my beer through filter paper into the bottling bucket that this might be a good way to filter it, BUT, I was curious if I could filter out all the yeast as well and then not get carbonation in my bottles...is this a concern or are yeast way too small to get caught up in filter paper??

Thanks,

David
What level of filtration are you aiming for? If you are looking to keep yeast rafts, trub, and hop gunk out, then I think a mesh bag around your siphon/racking cane will work fine (that's what I do). If you want to get your beer sparkling clear you'll need to use a plate filter and use CO2 to push it through. You won't be filtering out the yeast in suspension and can still bottle carbonate unless you start getting down into the .5-1 micron size filters.