Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Tertiary Fermenter?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
scottedk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tertiary Fermenter?

So, I don't really know how this will sound so if it sounds dumb, let me know.

I brewed my 2nd batch on 2/19, it was an Imperial IPA. Everything went fine on brewing day and I let it sit for a week. The recipe called for dry-hopping so after 1 week (on 2/26) and after the gravity was stable for a few days, I racked to a secondary and dry-hopped (with pellets).

Well, I have been reading a lot of threads on here about aging, dry hopping, etc... and it sounds like (and I truly believe) that my IIPA should spend a bit more time aging...however, I have also read that dry-hopping for more than 7-10 days can cause some grassy/off flavors in the beer.

So, now that I cannot go back and fix what I have done (which would have been let the beer ferment in the primary for a bit longer), what should I do? I have thought about possibly racking AGAIN to a tertiary fermenter to get the beer off of the hops (to prevent the off-flavors) to let it age for a bit longer, however I don't know if this will actually work like I want it to. Should I just go ahead and bottle and let it do most of its aging in the bottles instead of in the fermenter?

Any thoughts?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have done it with no issue at all. As you have already figured out though NEXT TIME let it go a while then dry hop 7-10 days prior to bottling.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 112

If you are sure it's done fermenting then I would recommend bottling it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I dry hop, I put the hops in a little mesh baggy, that way it's easy to pull them out if I'm not ready to bottle or want to let it sit around for a while.