Quint's Revenge Black Chocolate Stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Quint's Revenge Black Chocolate Stout

Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Bay Village, OH, Ohio
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: Safale S-04   
Yeast Starter: N/A   
Batch Size (Gallons): 6   
Original Gravity: 1.066   
Final Gravity: 1.012   
IBU: 47   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4 Weeks   
Additional Fermentation: Keg or Bottle condition 3 weeks   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A   
Tasting Notes: Smooth, roasty, chocolatey goodness   

A BJCP judge asked me for this recipe at a recent brewing event. Him and his wife drank pretty much the whole growler themselves!
It's absolutely delicious. It's black, like a doll's eye's. A perfect libation to enjoy aboard The Orca, while hunting a man-eating shark.

10lb Marris Otter
1.25lb Wyermann Chocolate Wheat Malt
1lb Honey Malt
.5lb Carapils
.5lb 80L
.25lb Black Patent Malt
Brew House Efficiency 79%
I aim to end with 6 gallons, so that after volume loss due to: straining out the hops, the yeast cake, trub etc, I end with about 5-5.5 gallons.

At 10 min left in boil, add 4oz Nestle bittersweet bakers dark chocolate bar 62% cocoa and 1oz 86% cocoa chocolate bar

1oz Centennial FWH (adding this at 60 minutes instead also works well)
.5oz Willamette 15 min
.5oz Willamette 5 min

Fermented for 4 weeks at 65. Keg condition for 2-3 weeks. That English yeast really takes it's time cleaning up the byproducts it produces during fermentation. Patience is the key on this one. If you taste it after a few days on tap it won't taste the way it should. After a full month in the keg is when this badboy reached it's peak flavor

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.