Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will too LOW of a temperature cause off flavors?

Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
GreenDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Will too LOW of a temperature cause off flavors?

So I passed around one of my beers at the local homebrew club meeting last month and pretty much everyone at the same time asked if I was using temp control. I wasn't.. just the hall closet which normally stays a constant 72F (I know that's too high but I can't swamp cool).

The beer I brewed tonight I just left in the garage. We're supposed to have a high around 65 for the next 2-3 days. The trouble is at night it drops down to the upper 30's.

I know too high of a ferment temp will cause off flavors, but other then possibly put the yeasties to sleep, will a low temp cause any issues? What about the beer going from 45-60F everyday, will the change in temps cause off-flavors?

When summer hits I'll be fine. I've got a johnson controller but it's useless in the winter here in KS.

Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat

Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Well if it goes down to below the yeasts dormancy temp then it can halt fermentation...Check out my ghetto lagering thread for some ideas on how to keep a fermenter warm. You might want to invest in and wire up a cheap ebay temp controller like I did.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well if it goes down to below the yeasts dormancy temp then it can halt fermentation...Check out my ghetto lagering thread for some ideas on how to keep a fermenter warm. You might want to invest in and wire up a cheap ebay temp controller like I did.
Revvy, correct me if I'm wrong - to answer the OP's question, and add to your fix of the problem - lower temperatures can cause off flavors, depending on style and yeast. Hefeweizen yeast is said to produce Clove flavors when fermented closer to 60F, and more pronounced Banana at 70F and slightly higher. We might be splitting hairs here, but it does exist, no?

Edit: (Example) - If someone were going for a more Banana Hef, and could only ferment at 58-60 degrees, the Clove over-powerment could be an 'off-flavor'.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

I've never heard of low temps causing off flavors. I don't brew hefs, so I can't comment on that. But generally, the cooler we can run most ale yeast within it's temp range, the LESS chance of off flavors you get.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was Nottingham so I should be safe then, as long as it didn't go to sleep last night.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Carter1932
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wide swings in temperature con affect the quality of your beer. Best to keep temp as stable as possible.
Kegged: Amber Ale, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest, Nut Brown Ale, Pilsner, Maier Bock, Brown Ale, Cream Stout, Am. Amber, Vienna Lager.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Why not wrap the fermenter in a sleeping bag every night and remove it during the day to minimize the temperature fluctuation?
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
Why not wrap the fermenter in a sleeping bag every night and remove it during the day to minimize the temperature fluctuation?
Interesting idea.. I do have an old sleeping bag in the garage.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
NineMilBill
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've never heard of low temps causing off flavors. I don't brew hefs, so I can't comment on that. But generally, the cooler we can run most ale yeast within it's temp range, the LESS chance of off flavors you get.
Hmm...I remember reading this a while back, and no one contested it. Assumed there was some truth to it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/get...2/#post2230510

Old 03-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

You're looking for stable or slightly increasing temps. As Revvy said - static cool isn't a problem (to an extent), but a dropping temp is. Falling temps can put the yeast to sleep and they can drop out prematurely.

In my head I think of it like a one-way valve. I can always keep the temp the same or slightly increasing, but never falling until I crash cool. So +1 for insulation to keep it from dropping.

For hefe's, you still get plenty of banana at the lower end (62)...its just a much cleaner banana flavor and quite balanced with the clove. At the higher temps you get some other esters that may taste good, but aren't necessarily ideal. If you're getting "off" clove flavors it's not the temp...possibly chlorine/chloramines making chlorophenols that kinda resemble cloves. Bad, medicinal cloves.