Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort chiller versus ICE chiller

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
T8rAleKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Wort chiller versus ICE chiller

I usually do a 5 gallon brew with approx. 3 gallon extract batch wort mixture in my brewpot so am adding approx 2.5-3 gallons of water ice after boil-off. Will this work as a chiller to bring the temp down for SG test and yeast-pitch? A true poor man's chiller. What say you???

"Always remember, a cat looks down on a man, a dog looks up to a man, but a pig will look a man straight in the eye & see his equal." Sir Winston Churchill
Salud, my friend.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

If you're mixing equal parts of cold and hot then you can expect the temperature to split the difference. If there's a phase change involved (ice to water) then you can expect to come a little more to the cool side.

Assume 1 gallon of water at 200F and 1 gallon of water at 40F then you'll get 2 gallons at around 120F. You can do the math using the latent heat (if I remember my thermo correctly) for the energy required to convert ice to water then add that into the overall calculation if you are using ice.

Short answer, no I don't think you are going to get equal parts to chill a hot wort down to 70F. My first (and only so far) was done in a 100qt crawfish pot. I set the pot into a galvanized tub and ran the hose into the tub. This gave me a constant temp cool water bath and chilled my wort down to 70F in just about 10 minutes.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
orcus332
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

ya, like Jay said, you'd likely get quicker results if you use an ice water bath in your sink. Use a sanitized spoon to stir the wort and put more ice into the bath as needed. I was doing 3.5G boils and it would take me about 20-25 minutes to get down to pitching temperatures using a large bag of ice. The combo of chilled top-off water and an ice bath will get you there much quicker.