Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Who's got a good sampling routine?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
broadbill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Thanks, RB. I don't keg, but if I wanted to use one of those CO2 chargers, I guess I'd pour the priming sugar solution in the bucket, drop my auto-siphon hose in there, put the lid on the bucket part way and spray the CO2 through the opening until I thought the air had been displaced? And then I'd start siphoning under the CO2, and close the lid completely when I'm done? I might try that.
I wouldn't bother. Millions of gallons of homebrew have been racked to bottling buckets without the worry of not having an adequate CO2 blanket on top of them.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Jhenjum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers View Post
Who out there has a really good process for sampling?

...because I sure don't. I've tried a lot of the sampling tools out there, but they always seem a bit too fussy and too plasticky. I've also tried using a sampling spigot on my (bucket) fermenter, but I always had leaks. I often find myself whipping up cleaner and sanitizer on sampling days, and that's just a PITA.

Too many of my brew log entries have just two numbers: the OG and the FG...and sometimes not even the FG. I really need to start keeping better track.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

When chilling I have a small ball valve that allows me to take a sample on the way to the fermenter....

After fermentation I push Co2 into my fermenter and take a gravity with a cobra tap before secondary...