Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Who's got a good sampling routine?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers View Post
I know some people keep their thief aside in a wallpaper tray full of starsan. Maybe I could try that.
If you know where to get a wallpaper tray, let me know. None of the stores around here stock them anymore.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Denverhoss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think there are metal "mud" trays at HD by the sheet rock tools. Might work if they don't rust.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for all the input.

I'm sure that different people expend different amounts of energy fussing over their fermenting beer. I tend to be on the low-fuss end myself, but I'm making an effort to sample just a bit more to address a specific issue (tracking attenuation). Sooo...the "don't sample" advice is...of limited utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
I bought a bunch of disposable pipettes. I just take a small sample and check it on a refractometer. I just use the refractometer tool in BeerSmith to give me an approximation of the gravity. I can also tell from day to day if fermentation is still going on by whether the reading changes.
Now see, there's something I hadn't thought of before. Thanks.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
beerhound
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverhoss View Post
I think there are metal "mud" trays at HD by the sheet rock tools. Might work if they don't rust.
The only metal trays I found at the HD store were formed on a brake so they wont hold liquid. Also they were a little short to get a racking cane in (my objective).

I was able to find a wallpaper tray at a Jerry's home improvement store. I'm sure Home Depot or Lowes would have them.

As far as sampling is concerned, I just use a turkey baster sprayed down with star san. (inside and out) It only takes three pulls in about thirty seconds.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
RobbyBeers
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyolympia View Post
Does StarSan really sanitize instantly on contact? Currently, I fill a hydrometer jar with an Iodophor solution and sit my wine thief in there for 10 minutes before sampling. It's a pretty good system, but if I could eliminate that 10 minute wait I 'd be happy.

Slightly OT question: does anybody besides me stress out about letting air into the carboy when taking the airlock off to draw a sample? I try to do anything I can to minimize oxidation, so that bugs me. I also stress out about the big pocket of air that floats over my beer while I'm filling the bottling bucket. I've thought about floating a sanitized piece of foam over the surface of the beer--whaddaya think?

Probably I should just RDWHAHB.
RE: the OT question
CO2 is heavier than air, so it doesn't all rush out when you pop the top on your fermenter. It's likely that there is less of a CO2 cushion by the time you go to the bottling bucket---some people spray their buckets with CO2 before filling (using CO2 from a kegging setup, or one of those small CO2 chargers).

I like the idea of sanitizing in the hydrometer cylinder. I'm thinking I might try to find a glass thief and a cylinder that are of compatible sizes, and just keep the thief floating in StarSan for the duration of the fermentation.

I don't want to relax. I'm too worried. But I will drink that homebrew.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhound View Post
I was able to find a wallpaper tray at a Jerry's home improvement store. I'm sure Home Depot or Lowes would have them.
But, they don't. At least not around here. They simply do not carry wallpaper or wallpaper supplies at all.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
beerhound
Recipes 

Bummer. People don't do wall paper in LA I guess.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeers

RE: the OT question
CO2 is heavier than air, so it doesn't all rush out when you pop the top on your fermenter. It's likely that there is less of a CO2 cushion by the time you go to the bottling bucket---some people spray their buckets with CO2 before filling (using CO2 from a kegging setup, or one of those small CO2 chargers).

I like the idea of sanitizing in the hydrometer cylinder. I'm thinking I might try to find a glass thief and a cylinder that are of compatible sizes, and just keep the thief floating in StarSan for the duration of the fermentation.
Thanks, RB. I don't keg, but if I wanted to use one of those CO2 chargers, I guess I'd pour the priming sugar solution in the bucket, drop my auto-siphon hose in there, put the lid on the bucket part way and spray the CO2 through the opening until I thought the air had been displaced? And then I'd start siphoning under the CO2, and close the lid completely when I'm done? I might try that.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
bschoenb
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What's with all this sampling and fussing over the FG ? I don't open my fermenter until three weeks when I'm ready to Keg/Bottle; no need to. Can't change anything anyway; Pitch enough Yeast and Keep your Fermentation Temps in your Range..you will always make beer. Give your Carboy/Bucket a swirl for a couple days after the Fermentation really begins to slow to finish it out and it will all be good

Why risk the contaimanation; 3/3 Rule.. three weeks in Fermenter/ Three Weeks in bottle/Kettle

Oh, and I take my tasting sample/FG sample with a Sanitizes Pyrex Measuring cup; just dip it into the bucket and pull out a cup. I check the FG; then keg/bottle... then drink the sample

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #20
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 343 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoenb View Post
What's with all this sampling and fussing over the FG ? I don't open my fermenter until three weeks when I'm ready to Keg/Bottle; no need to. Can't change anything anyway; Pitch enough Yeast and Keep your Fermentation Temps in your Range..you will always make beer. Give your Carboy/Bucket a swirl for a couple days after the Fermentation really begins to slow to finish it out and it will all be good

Why risk the contaimanation; 3/3 Rule.. three weeks in Fermenter/ Three Weeks in bottle/Kettle

Oh, and I take my tasting sample/FG sample with a Sanitizes Pyrex Measuring cup; just dip it into the bucket and pull out a cup. I check the FG; then keg/bottle... then drink the sample
If you are pitching enough yeast and maintaining proper temps, there is no reason to bother with the 3 week in the fermenter rule. But that is a discussion for another time, and to each their own...