Weissbier Very Schmaltzie Bavarian Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP300
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
1200 mL
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3-4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 62 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
NA
Additional Fermentation
NA
Tasting Notes
Super crisp drinkable hefeweizen
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal (5.5 in the fermenter)
Boil Size: 8.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 3.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 79.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grains
1# Rice Hulls
6.5# Wheat Malt
3.5# German Pilsner Malt

Mash
Protein Rest @ 130 degrees with 12 qts of Water for 20 minutes
Beta Rest @ 145 degrees with +4 qts of boiling water for 40 minutes
Alpha Rest @ 155 degrees with +6 qts of boiling water for 40 minutes

Boil
90 minute boil
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.00 %] (60 min)

Fermentation
1 Pkgs WLP300 (1200 mL Starter)
Ferment at 62 degrees (SP=63 on Johnson Controller)
3 weeks in the primary, then cold crash a couple days, then keg/carb

Comments
Being of German heritage and living in South East Texas, I wanted to make an authentic hefeweizen that has a distinct drinkability element. I have tinkered with this recipe over the last 6 months or so and really think I got it perfect at this point. This beer has a great clove aroma and a perfect balance of banana and clove taste. Fermenting on the lower end with a larger than average starter is what sets this beer apart from most of the others on the market I think. The finish is nice and crisp, making for a super drinkable hefeweizen. You'll obviously need a blow-off tube. You can use 3068, but I've found better results with WLP300, at least for what I was wanting to achieve. Also, you can probably get away with just doing a beta and alpha rest, but again, being German, I wanted to keep tradition with some what of a "decoction" mash... even though this is infusion steps. I also carb on the higher side of the style guidelines around 2.8.

Sorry no pictures, was planning on having some but my wife and I threw a party this weekend with 4 homebrews on tap and this one was the only one knocked out. Crowd favorite, enjoy.

Putting this next on my list to brew. After the Belgian golden strong and cream ale I already have ingredients for.

This looks awesome! Definitely making this on Saturday to have ready for the spring. I'm fairly new though and am confused by the mash process you have listed. Can you explain the process in a little more detail for me? You do protein, beta, alpha in that order and literally add boiling water for the beta and alpha? Do you sparge like normal? Thanks for the help...it is much appreciated!

Yeah, I start with a relatively thick mash for the protein rest. Then, in my system which is a rubbermaid cooler, one gallon of boiling water gets me up to 145. I get it boiling right next to the mash tun so I pour it in boiling and immediately stir it around. Then put the top back on and let it rest, same procedure to get up to 155 only with 1.5 gallons of water. I then add another gallon of boiling water for mash out. That won't get me up to 170, but warm enough to get the drippings out properly. I then single batch sparge with about 3 gallons of 170 degree water.

You can probably remove the protein rest if you want. And if you really wanted to simplify you can probably do a single infusion at 151 for about 90 minutes. The beta and alpha rest will ensure good fermentables and is minimal additional effort though.

The big trick to this one is a good starter and cooler fermentation, that gets you the good flavor and aroma and clean finish. The extra steps in the mash will help in a crisp finish as well because it ensures that all starches are converted.

Great explanation! I'm going to follow your instructions precisely. Thanks so much for the reply. I'll let you know how it turns out.

rpohagan said:
Great explanation! I'm going to follow your instructions precisely. Thanks so much for the reply. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cool, I'd just make sure to have a little extra boiling water on hand just in case it takes you a little extra to get to the target temp. Each mash system is different in how much heat it absorbs, so you may need an extra quart or 2. Once you do the step infusion once, you'll know from then on out how much to add.

drewbrew said:
Looks like a great recipe. What did you do to "Cold Crash"

Simply just lower the set-point on your temp controller to SP=35. I'd encourage you to change to an air lock with some vodka in it, that way you don't risk sucking a bunch of sanitizer from a blow off tube into your brew as the head space of your fermenter cools down... that whole PV=nRT thing. Vodka will ensure that your air lock doesn't freeze, just lift off the airlock plug during the initial cooling a couple times to let the pressure equalize within the fermenter. That way you won't suck in any vodka.

Let it sit at 35 for about 2-3 days, then keg it up.

I don't recommend cold crashing if you bottle, no need, yeast is your friend in this brew. I do cold crash for kegging because I don't want a bunch of gunk in the bottom of my keg. There will still be plenty of yeast in suspension after cold crashing so no worries.

Back