Nasty Brew - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Nasty Brew

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
buchababe90
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Escondido, CA
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I had my family taste my first kombucha brew and none of them liked it. I tried it before them and noticed that it was both too strong and too sweet. I used a pungent brand of black tea (PG Tips) along with the recommended amount of sugar. Do you prefer the taste of kombucha made with green or black tea?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Vance71975
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 817
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buchababe90 View Post
I had my family taste my first kombucha brew and none of them liked it. I tried it before them and noticed that it was both too strong and too sweet. I used a pungent brand of black tea (PG Tips) along with the recommended amount of sugar. Do you prefer the taste of kombucha made with green or black tea?
I personally prefer a blend of teas. I use Rooibos Red,Gunpowder green,Yerba Mate, and Iced tea blend(Black and Orange pekoe blend) all in my Kombucha. Many prefer all green tea and say it has a milder flavor.

If its too strong try mixing it with fruit juice, 4 oz Kombucha and 12oz Juice, most people prefer it this way or so i have read.
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
ChessRockwell
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Posts: 558
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts


I like both but I've found green teas to produce a smoother, more mellow flavor that more people find palatable. Try an organic Kukicha green tea, comes out great and seems to produce healthier/thicker scoby's and better carbonation in my experience.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
lowlife
 
lowlife's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Chicago
Posts: 654
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts


I like a mix of mostly green tea

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
ashfatboy
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Posts: 36
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


How long does this take from pitch to glass?how can wines vary so much?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Vance71975
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 817
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ashfatboy View Post
How long does this take from pitch to glass?how can wines vary so much?
Kombucha is normally done in 7-10 days for a easily drinkable product, but can be left go for 30+ days for a product more like Vinegar. The longer it is brewed the more sour it becomes.

It isn't a wine or beer, when done properly there is next to no alcohol in the finished drink because it is converted into organic acids by the bacteria portion of the Scoby.
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
buchababe90
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Escondido, CA
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


My next brew was gross too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I fermented it for 10 days and a super healthy looking baby developed. Unfortunately, the batch is undrinkable. It is too vinegary and full of sediment. I prepared another brew two days ago with half green and half black tea. I hope it turns out okay. The SCOBY in one of the jars sunk and its thinner than the other one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Vance71975
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 817
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buchababe90 View Post
My next brew was gross too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I fermented it for 10 days and a super healthy looking baby developed. Unfortunately, the batch is undrinkable. It is too vinegary and full of sediment. I prepared another brew two days ago with half green and half black tea. I hope it turns out okay. The SCOBY in one of the jars sunk and its thinner than the other one.
Try this, use 1 and 1/2 cup sugar and green tea only, and bottle after 5 days. The sediment is normal and very good for you, btw it is going to have SOME form of vinegar like flavor.
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
buchababe90
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Escondido, CA
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I reduced the fermentation time to 7 days and that seemed to help a lot. Then I bottled the kombucha for the secondary fermentation. I made 2 with ginger and 2 with pineapple juice. The ginger ones turned out great, but the pineapple was gross for some reason and caused a MASSIVE explosion when I opened the bottles!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,342
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


I don't like any black tea at all in mine, or at least very very little. The tannin bite really comes forward in the finished tea. I like green tea, not brewed too strong, honey, and ginger

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump