Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > trusting my software

Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
robange
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default trusting my software

Not a big deal but I thought it was worth sharing. I was doing a 5 gallon batch of an amber ale. Beersmith call for a total of 8.2 gallons of water (this is to include all my losses until I reach the fermenter). After sparging I still had 72oz of water set aside that did not get used and my boil pot achieved 6 gallons without it, so i discarded the additional water. When all was said and done I ended up roughly 1/2 gallon short in my fermenter. All this to say I should have trusted Beersmith and I would have been dead on start to finish. FYI - this ale looks amazing and I won't let one drop go to waste

Old 02-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I too have found Beersmith to be pretty dead-on. In addition to really accurate boil-off/ water usage estimates, my mash temps are always within 1-2 degrees if I input my equipment temps correctly.

Enjoy the beer, I'm sure it will be great!

Cheers

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

The BIAB volume and temp calculations in v2 are totally messed up, at least for me. I mean, just totally whacky and wrong. No way they could possibly be right. So I ended up writing my own calculators for that stuff to actually hit my targets.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Pie_Man
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy
The BIAB volume and temp calculations in v2 are totally messed up, at least for me. I mean, just totally whacky and wrong. No way they could possibly be right. So I ended up writing my own calculators for that stuff to actually hit my targets.
Did my first BIAB and used beersmith for the first time this weekend. I ended up with too much water. For a few reasons I didn't feel like boiling it off, so I just lowered my OG and increased my batch size; The wort tasted great as it was. This was a small 2.5 gallon trial batch and I ended up with 3 gallons. Not sure if it was beersmith's fault or noob error. I still like the software, it, or me, just may need tweaking.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

No it doesn't calculate the volumes correctly for BIAB. It is not a matter of tweaking; something is wrong with the calculations. In mine I wrote a recipe for a 5 gallon batch, and it calculated out volumes to end up with 6.25 gallons post boil. Also the temperatures were completely and utterly wrong...strike water temp was something like 5-10 degrees too high for my target mash temp.

I learned my lesson and do the calculations myself now if I'm doing BIAB. It is fine for a regular 2 or 3 vessel setup, but for BIAB it is just broken.