Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How long in the primary?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Turkeyfoot Jr.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long in the primary?

I brewed a Belgian Tripel this past weekend, it's been in the primary about 5 days now. The recipe I used didn't give any details for how long to leave it in the primary. Normally I'd rack it this Saturday or Sunday but it still has a good bit of foam on top of the beer and the airlock is bubbling away still. All that could change in the next day or two but if it doesn't should I rack anyway or wait till the activity subsides a bit more?

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 05-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Wait for 3 of 4:

A week
Krausen falls
No airlock activity
Target gravity

Five days is too soon for a Tripel

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm brewing a Belgian Tripel this weekend and when I picked up the ingredients the guy at my LHBS recommended going a little longer than a week in primary. I figured on checking gravity at 7 days and everyday after and rack once it stays the same for a few days.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Turkeyfoot Jr.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll take a reading Sunday and see where the gravity is and go from there.
Bottled:

Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Turkeyfoot Jr.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I didn't bother with the reading since the airlock is still bubbling every 15 seconds. I'm assuming with that level of activity the beer should stay in the primary for a while yet. For comparison, I timed it yesterday and the bubbles were every 9 seconds. Should I wait for complete inactivity in the airlock? What if it bubbles only every 3-4 minutes?
Bottled:

Old 06-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default How Long in the primary

I've gone 14 days with ales and as much a 21 with lagers and I've had no bad side effects.

Its no big deal if you are in the right temp range. Going a little longer lets the yeast drop out more, makes for clearer beer from the 2ndary to bottling bucket.

RDWDAHB -

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Criniit
Recipes 

How did it turn out?

Primary-
Secondary-
Bottled-Amber Ale, American Pale Ale (First Brew)

Check out my new site Cooking site.It is for the beginner and experienced alike in the kitchen! It runs through the basics of cooking and how to navigate the kitchen.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
badnaam
Recipes 

I have a quadrupel (OG 1.082) bubbling for 23 days. There is a bit of foam at top, the FG is still at 1.024 and the beer is pretty cloudy. Not sure how long I will have to keep it in the primary (I don't have any secondary).

Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
Turkeyfoot Jr.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't see any activity in the airlock, watched for maybe 5 minutes, but there's still a thin layer of bubbles ringing the carboy and every now and then a new bubble floats up to join them. It's been in the primary now for 9 days. The beer's also very cloudy from what I can tell. Kind of hard to see since it sits on the bottom shelf of my brewing area in the basement so I can't get a good light behind it. I think I'm going to leave it till this weekend and rack it either Saturday or Sunday.

badnaam, guess mine technically would be considered a quadrupel as well. The OG was 1.084 if I recall correctly, don't have my notebook in front of me. The recipe I used called for a OG of 1.074ish but also had 1lb. of dark LME. I wanted a lighter tripel so I went with amber LME and my LHBS doesn't sell amber in bulk so I had to buy a 3.3lb. can. Oh well, should make for a great beer either way.

Bottled: