Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Help keeping beer "warm" during fermentation

Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
rancineb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help keeping beer "warm" during fermentation

Running into a bit of trouble with our brewing during these winter months. We store our home brews in my unfinished basement and the temperature is sitting around 60 degrees which is too low for the yeast to work. Ideally, we'd like it about 5 degrees warmer. Our first beer came out a little too sweet so the yeast are definitely slow in the process because of the temp.

Any suggestions on what to do to help keep the temperature on the beer warmer during the fermentation? I've been thinking of building a box to store the carboys in to help keep the cold basement are off, but not sure how much effect it would have. Anyone else run into this problem?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
halister
Recipes 

I'm new but what I did was got a box and my son has a lizard and had an extra reptile tank heater so just plugged that into dimmer switch and got 8 extra deg into the box. It worked well.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've never used one, but some friends who ferment in their basements use "Brew Belts" that wrap around a carboy.

There are a few great strains that love 60 degrees. Depending on what you're making, using on of them may be less trouble than any other solution.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 47

A constant 60 degrees is great for brewing. Active yeast will give you those extra degrees you want. My winter beers (before I built my ferm chamber), fermented in a bedroom that kept 58-62 all winter, were the best of the year.

edit - you can always throw on a brew belt after the initial active phase is done to warm it up a little.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use a Ferm Wrap with a Ranco. Works nice.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2855 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

You don't need to be lagering to use my cheap setup for warm temp control

Ugly junk 2012, Ghetto Lagering Chamber

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 418

I used this to bring up the temp in my bucket by a few degrees... wish I had the old school xmass lights. They put out a lot more heat!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0537.jpg
Views:	2729
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	49950  

Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a similar problem - smuggled my wife's heating pad down to the "cave", snuggled it up my plastic fermenter with a big towel ("Haven't seen that either, Hun - must be the boys...") held in place with a clamp. Turns out medium heat did the trick but there is no thermostat so I had to play around with it. Like the Christmas light idea! Once the ferment started in earnest, it kept going without the extra stimulation.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
arvee

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
I used this to bring up the temp in my bucket by a few degrees... wish I had the old school xmass lights. They put out a lot more heat!
And it's festive! Love it.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 319

60*F is a very nice temp to ferment at. i generally brew belgians, which are officially listed as having warmer temp ranges, but people are telling me that the beer will taste better if fermented at the low end or even below their listed ranges. just today someone suggested that temps are listed high to ensure a quick and active fermentation.

i'm currently fermenting a batch of belgian strong honey ale that would have done much better at 60*F than the 70*F i left it at. during peak fermentation it likely went over 80*F due to the heat generated by the active yeasts. had the room been at 60*, the fermentation would have peaked at 70* and i wouldn't have a carboy full of bananas.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn