National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders All Day IPA

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #81
brewski09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne1
Simcoe and Amarillo are pretty much sold out across the country. Some vendors may have small quantities that they want a fair amount of money for.

You can try LabelPeelers
My LHBS changed to hopunion for their supplier recently and has both in stock in pellet and leaf for $2.49/oz like all their other hops. Problem is you can't really sub these hops out because they are too unique and distinctive.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 AM   #82
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith92 View Post
I'll brew this (extract) recipe next week (start 4-14-12).

Thanks!
Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #83
msmith92
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not yet. The simcoe was not available.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #84
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
Did you get a chance to brew this? I am drinking a glass of mine that I bottled 3/20 and it is tasting pretty darn good. I also picked up a 6er of the real stuff and notice some differences from my original bottle (I think there is some variance in their finished product or with aging more than a couple of weeks). A little stronger on the flavors and diminished on the aromas, which start to fade very, very quickly anyway. I want to brew this again, but everything is full right now! I think it will be a June brew for me

That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #85
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus

That is what I found too. I prefer this brew from draft when I can find it. I had a bottle in my fridge that was in there for about a month and it was kind of blah. I think the bottle is missing a lot of the aromas coming from the amarillo (or citra) where they come through quite well when you get it on draft.
I guess that means I'll be brewing this with a tight turnaround in the future to get the wonderful aromas. Not such a bad think though to have to drink the batch in 2 weeks

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #86
brewski09
Recipes 

Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #87
Uziyahu
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbusAmongus View Post
I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #88
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziyahu View Post
I had a similar problem. A friend brought a 6 pack over, and we drank 4 of them. They had this great aroma and taste. I had another a few days later. Same great aroma and taste. I decided to wait save the last one for a day when I needed a really tasty beer. When I opened it a few weeks later, a lot of the hop aroma and taste that I loved in the first 5 bottles was gone.
Here is a quick blog article about hop aroma where they guy talked to Sierra Nevada and Great Divide about it all. They said aromas in professional beers could last up to 3-4 months (even if diminished). I suspect it is less for a more flawed homebrew process (and I have no doubt my process is more flawed than either SN or GD). <http://captainsbeerblog.com/2010/03/23/fading-hops/>

still looking for something i saw a while back talking about volatility of hop compounds...
eeedamian Likes This 
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #89
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed this ag man it was awesome for a session excellent beer

Old 06-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #90
brewski09
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
Just brewed this ag man it was awesome for a session excellent beer
thanks, we put some work into the recipe formulation. have you had the all day ipa? wondering if this needs more tweaking to be a proper clone. let us know what you think.