Founders All Day IPA - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Founders All Day IPA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #111
BassBeer
 
BassBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Asheville, NC
Posts: 381
Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts


I need to use what hops I have in the freezer... so what do you all think: dry hop with Simcoe, or Cascade/Columbus blend?

(used only Simcoe/Amarillo during the boil)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #112
BassBeer
 
BassBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Asheville, NC
Posts: 381
Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts


Or Citra... I know it's not the recipe but has anyone tried a Citra dryhop? How'd it turn out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #113
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,131
Liked 76 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer
I need to use what hops I have in the freezer... so what do you all think: dry hop with Simcoe, or Cascade/Columbus blend?

(used only Simcoe/Amarillo during the boil)
I would put some of the simcoe in dry hop. If you we're light handed with the cascade/Cbus hopping, it should remain in the background nicely. I would probably use about 1/2-3/4 oz of simcoe, no more than 1/4 oz each of cascade and Cbus, and you could try out the citra, but I'm not sure how it would meld with the other dry hops. It would probably do well subbing for the simcoe though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #114
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,131
Liked 76 Times on 73 Posts


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2367724255.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	114979

My clone today. I think the hops are right, just need a little adjusting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #115
inhousebrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
minneapolis, minnesota
Posts: 1,465
Liked 127 Times on 114 Posts


Nice, just read through this whole thread and awesome dedication in sticking with it!
This beer is really great but with it's high drinkability it disappears quickly so a clone would be awesome. I've had this idea in my mind for a little while now that I want a session IPA, perhaps even closer to 4% than this, that I could just plow through a handful of pints and still not feel like I'm going to fall over.

Question is do I go this route or go my own way?
__________________
I hate Walder Frey...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #116
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,131
Liked 76 Times on 73 Posts


5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #117
i_heart_beer
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 33
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


^^ ill be brewing this up very soon, in ten gallon batches. Thanks for doing the legwork!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #118
BrewmeisterSmith
 
BrewmeisterSmith's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 137
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
5 Gallon batch size
OG=1.040 FG=1.012 SRM=6 IBU=40 (Rager) I got 70% Extract efficiency. I think I mashed at 148F.

6# 12oz Briess 2-row
1# 2oz Briess Caramel 20L
12oz flaked oats
4oz Briess Red Wheat

8g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 60 min
6g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 60 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 20 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 20 min
14g Simcoe 14.1AA leaf 20 min
14g Amarillo 8.6AA pellet 5 min
14g Crystal 3.4AA leaf 5 min

Dryhop (7 days)
14g Simcoe 14.1AA
14g Amarillo 8.6AA
14g Crystal 3.4AA

I used WLP862 Cry Havoc (british yeast qualities) because its my house strain. I plan on culturing some Bells yeast soon. Suggest WLP001 or equivalent if you don't have Bells yeast, but anything mild/neutral will work.

My only change would be less of the Crystal hops for flavor, maybe half, and add simcoe to balance the IBU, or just increase one of the bittering additions. I also love Amarillo, so I wouldn't be opposed to bumping up the 5 minute addition of Amarillo for more aroma. I thought this was a really close recipe as it is. I will probably add about 1/4 oz of Citra for dryhop next time to get a mild tangerine.

For extract, just use some Briess CBW Golden Light and make sure you pitch enough yeast and have a healthy fermentation. You will finish a tiny bit higher (1.014 maybe?), but it should be close enough. If you think that's a little dark or too much crystal malt in the extract, the Briess CBW Pilsen Light has less crystal malt sweetness to me. I don't think the flaked adjuncts are all that important in this beer.

Cheers
I may have to try this with your suggestions. I'd hate to ruin it by adding citra. Citra = cat urine.
__________________
"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: Strawberry Schwarzcake, El Hefe, Pulque, Apple Pie Hard Cider
Kegged: Simcoe IPA, RyePA, Harvest Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #119
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,131
Liked 76 Times on 73 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith

I may have to try this with your suggestions. I'd hate to ruin it by adding citra. Citra = cat urine.
Also half the crystal dry hop addition. Enjoy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #120
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmeisterSmith View Post
I may have to try this with your suggestions. I'd hate to ruin it by adding citra. Citra = cat urine.
Never understood the whole 'Citra = cat piss' thing. Smells and tastes amazing to most, but the others hate it. Not sure if there's a more polarizing hop.

Taking my chances with a very similar brew next weekend using simcoe, amarillo, and citra. Yes, citra.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founders Double Trouble dannedry Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-06-2012 02:20 AM
Founders Red's Rye PA WeimBrew Recipes/Ingredients 2 01-22-2012 03:25 PM
founders foreign spy rye de5m0mike Recipes/Ingredients 2 02-18-2011 02:30 AM
Something like Founders Imperial Stout? slowbie Recipes/Ingredients 1 11-11-2010 03:37 PM
Founders Double Trouble borodave Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-01-2010 06:43 PM


Forum Jump