Neighbors! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Neighbors!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts

This is awesome. We're here in Texas, on a canal that goes out to the bay that goes out to the Gulf. One day, we were paddling by a house, and I saw a corney keg and a 20 pound Co2 tank on their porch.

I waited until the weekend, and worked up the nerve to go knock on their door.

I walked up their drive and heard them out on their terrace. I made lots of noise so I didn't just wander in. They welcomed me, and said "Hello!"

I said, "This sounds really weird, but I kayaked by your house and saw a corney keg and c02 tank. Are you homebrewers?" All four said "Yes! Wanna beer?"

Oh my goodness- they were the nicest people and had a GREAT Speckled Heifer on tap (New Glarus Spotted Cow with some tweaks).

I mentioned my husband was probably paddling by soon, on his way in from fishing. They said, "Oh, the guy in the green kayak? We saw him earlier!" So when Bob came back in, they all got on the pier and yelled, "Hi Bob! Hey Bob! etc". Hysterically funny, and then Bob saw me hiding behind them, and just said, "Oh, there must be beer involved there."

I invited them for a beer to our house- about 10 lots away. I hope they come! Great people, wonderful beer, and we talked and laughed and enjoyed them very much.

What are the odds that my voyeurism would introduce me to homebrewers? Very cool day, and great fun. Oh, and I gave them the homebrewtalk.com website!

Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Liked 110 Times on 77 Posts

It is amazing how a small shiny inanimate object (to most) has the ability to bring complete strangers together. Congrats on finding some fellow homebrewers at your winter digs.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2577 Times on 1429 Posts

Yoop, this is truly the coolest thing I've heard/read all day! Sort of reminds me of the time I was walking past somebodys house & noticed a little gazeebo draped in hops...
They didn't brew at all, actually had no interest in brewing, but they did like the hops they had growing on the gazeebo. I'm glad your day turned out to be much, MUCH better. Hope you & Bob are having a great time.
Regards, GF.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
mvcorliss
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Greenfield, MA
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Never mind all of that ... Can my wife and I move in with you?! I've always love houses along canals with all that water access. I grew up near the beach in Massachusetts and now I'm 100 miles inland. Warmer weather wouldn't hurt too much either!!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts

Imagine that! Yooper finds some Homebrewers and hangs out and drinks beer and has a good time...

I bet they'd let you brew on their equipment if you start getting withdrawals.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8019 Times on 5603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Imagine that! Yooper finds some Homebrewers and hangs out and drinks beer and has a good time...

I bet they'd let you brew on their equipment if you start getting withdrawals.
I know!!!! Who would have thought I'd wander into some random strangers' place and drink beer and trade stories and drink more beer and have new friends?

It's not quite unusual for me, actually, now that I think about it.

The best part was them yelling "Bob! Hey Bob!" as he paddled down the canal past their house. Until he saw me behind them, he was baffled and puzzled and just said "Hi there!" and kept going. Once he saw me, he knew that beer was involved and that it wouldn't be unheard of to find his wife at a stranger's house having a beer or three.

But you are right!!!! Offers to brew at their house this winter and next since I can't haul my stuff. I can probably bring a fermenter, some grain, and some yeast, though- so maybe next winter I can brew here!

Another weird but great part of the story- they are retiring this spring and just bought some acreage in Wisconsin not far from our cottage (about 1.5 hours away) where they plan on spending 6 months in the summer. So, we're sort of neighbors there, too. They are very familiar with Wisconsin breweries and beers, and hence the New Glarus clone. Sometimes it's a very small world.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7026 Times on 4160 Posts

That's a funny story.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Bigcorona

Recipes 

Sep 2011
, Texas
Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts

Amazing, meeting homebrew neighbors in the south and the north. Equally amazing, they make great homebrew but are not regulars on homebrewtalk!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Bloomington, MN
Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts

I wish my neighbors were the same! My wife and I are young for my neighborhood, owning our home in our late 20's. We have a great location, perfect for raising a family and sending kids to school. Unfortunately most of our neighbors are much older than us, and look at us like we're drunk college kids all the time.

We get the cops called for every small gathering (and I mean 5-10 people). One time, they called the police when my folks were over helping with some maintenance projects. After a long day's work, we were out on the patio enjoying the Summer breeze. It was my wife and I, and my parents at a little before 10:00pm on a Saturday. The cops came through the gate in our fence to the back yard, and said they got a noise complain from a neighbor. The funny thing is, we were so quiet that my dad had fallen asleep in the chair while my mom and us were talking! The police were nice and a bit embarrassed, but nonetheless, another reason why our neighbors don't like us.

We'd invite you over for beers any time Yoop! I wish my neighbors could enjoy the company, rather than keeping the "image" of the neighborhood.

Honey Double IPA

Old 02-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #10
nyer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Merritt Island, Florida
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'll trade neighbors with you. We have a cigar smoking midget, a pervert and mennonite dairy farmers for neighbors. I should invite them all over for beer sometime.