Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > need some recipe advice quick!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
dummkauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default need some recipe advice quick!

Ok, so I had planned on brewing up Yoopers 60 min DFH clone tonight(extract version). Steeped the 1 pound of Cara 40L for an hour at 150, removed grains, and got it to a boil and started adding the extract. Got the 1st bag in and realized I bought wheat instead of Light extrat

So now I'm committed to brewing this up, the question is what should I do. I've got my last packet of pacman ready to go, but I don't want to use it on a wheat(love this recipe w/ pacman!!!), so I plan on having a 2nd brew day tomorrow morning to brew this recipe up right with the pacman.

So the question is, what to do with this wheat. The grains have been steeped and wheat extract is in, so now I just need to come up with a recipe.

What I have to work with:
1 oz fuggle hop plugs
1 oz warrior pellets
1lb simcoe leaf
1lb amarillo leaf
1lb centennial
1lb cascade
ordered up a bunch of hops when Simcoe became available again so I'm well stocked now
couple packets of nottingham.

going to start googling recipes now, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestoins?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Blackbox_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much wheat do you have? You could add some to lighten body and improve head retention

Old 02-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
dummkauf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbox_Brewing View Post
How much wheat do you have? You could add some to lighten body and improve head retention
sorry forgot that

8lbs....all in the pot getting heated back up to a boil right now

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #4
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Throw some warrior in at 60 minutes to get you to 25 IBUs or so then add some cascades at 15 and some amarillos at 5. Should make for a tasty American wheat beer.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-26-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
dummkauf
Recipes 

thanks for the tip. I also just discovered a couple bags of frozen strawberries in the fridge, debating making a fruit wheat now.....would it be better to toss them in at the end of the boil, or in the primary/secondary?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
JLem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf
thanks for the tip. I also just discovered a couple bags of frozen strawberries in the fridge, debating making a fruit wheat now.....would it be better to toss them in at the end of the boil, or in the primary/secondary?
Most fruit is best added to secondary. Adding to the boil can cause problems with pectin haze and will drive off lots of the delicate aromas/flavors.

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
dummkauf
Recipes 

interesting...the maybe I'll try the secondary with this one. Last wheat with fruit I brewed was from Extreme Brewing with Kiwi and it recommended adding the kiwi right at the end of the boil(which is why I was thinking of doing that with this one)...though I've never tried it in secondary with beer, so it might be good to try it out

Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #8
JLem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummkauf
interesting...the maybe I'll try the secondary with this one. Last wheat with fruit I brewed was from Extreme Brewing with Kiwi and it recommended adding the kiwi right at the end of the boil(which is why I was thinking of doing that with this one)...though I've never tried it in secondary with beer, so it might be good to try it out
Im surprised the recipe said to add the kiwi in the boil. Did you have a problem with haze? How was the flavor/aroma?

My Beer Cellar

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
dummkauf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Im surprised the recipe said to add the kiwi in the boil. Did you have a problem with haze? How was the flavor/aroma?
It definitely wasn't clear, though most wheats aren't usually crystal clear either.

I'm not a huge wheat fan myself, but I thought it was very good. It had just a slight hint of kiwi(which is good because I can't stand super fruity beers). My wife loved it, and one of my friends who generally only drinks wheat beers said it was one of the best he'd ever had.

And it wasn't really added during the boil, it was added at flame out and allowed to sit and steep for 20 min before chilling the wort(just ran downstairs to double check the recipe)

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #10
dummkauf
Recipes 

also, after double checking that recipe, I might dump the stawberries in at the end of the boil like that kiwit, and then later pick up a couple vanilla beans to drop into the primary or secondary. Thinking a stawberry/vanilla wheat might be interesting....plus this whole batch is one big experiment at this point anyhoo