Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hot Break: Extract vs AG...

Old 02-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hot Break: Extract vs AG...

Ran my first AG batch today and I was extremely worried about the hot break. When Extract (w/ steeping) my hot break has always been REALLY large. My wort usually foams up and fills my entire brew kettle (7 gal turkey pot) and takes ~5min's to settle out. So today, I only filled to 5 gal's to give myself space and the hot break was over quickly >2minutes and never looked like it would foam over (it did build up ~1gallon extra foam).

I've never seen reference to this phenomena in the threads and research I've been doing to learn this hobby. Is this a normal occurance? Am I doing something wrong with the Extract brews? I assume that the thicker Extract boil is the cause of this.
Is the subdued reaction something I can expect from my future AG batches? If so, it will give me the ability to add more to the kettle.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
CrackShotHolmes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I only have 12 brews under my belt, but the extract batches I have done have definitely had a much larger hot breaks. With my all grain batches there hasn't been much of a hot break at all compared to extract. IMO, I believe what you are experiencing is totally normal.