Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > 1 BBL Brewery Build ( Brutus Inspired)

Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Jaybrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Going Pro....1 BBL Brewery Build....Soos Creek Brewing

There have been a lot of build threads made. I have studied many of them and learned a lot. They all had something of value to me and I appreciate the time the builders spent documenting their builds.....very valuable!! I hope I can pass it on with this build.....and maybe show off a nice brew stand too!!!

I partnered up with a good friend and am now part of Soos Creek Brewing Co.......a Nano brewery located near Seattle, WA. Currently we brew on a 1/2 bbl 3 tier system. We are increasing our capacity to 1bbl to increase production...and to create our future "pilot system"

We chose to go with kettles from Stout Tanks in Portland......much shipping $$ saved...and they are beautiful!! We pick them up Saturday.

The system: Nothing too original here...it will be modeled loosely after Lonnie's Brutus. It is a single tier stand made from .095", 1-1/2" mild steel square tubing.

Temps will be controlled by Love Switches via Honeywell Spark Ignition Modules to fire the solenoid valves. Gas will flow through both a High Pressure manifold to the burners, and a Low pressure manifold to the pilot lights. It will be fueled by high pressure propane. Fluids will be controlled by 2 March pumps....1-809 and 1-815. Returns will go through the lids.

I am now in the process of welding the stand, so I will try not to get lazy and make sure to post my progress. I will also post a parts list when everything has been purchased. Cheers!!

A special thanks to KLADUE for the help he gave me in designing and understanding the gas system. Thanks man!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stand raw.jpg
Views:	9800
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	49558   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	10178
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	49559   Click image for larger version

Name:	stand 2.jpg
Views:	10649
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	49560   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrewSystem-Controlsl.jpg
Views:	10433
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	49561  

Reason: Just thought the title needed a change
byrone Likes This 
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
DarkBrood
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Looking forward to seeing your build grow....especially love the schematic diagrams you included.

WRITER: http://BrewsAndStews.wordpress.com TWITTER @DarkBroodBrews
PHOTOGRAPHER: http://Brian-Gibson.FineArtAmerica.com

Old 02-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
JoshuaWhite5522
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Looking forward as well, what burner are you planning on for the system?

My Keezer Build

My Kegbot Over 1000 pints poured!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBrood View Post
Looking forward to seeing your build grow....especially love the schematic diagrams you included.
That diagram was a huge help for me in understanding how to utilize high pressure propane, and have a safe operating system. Thanks to HBT member Kladue for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaWhite5522 View Post
Looking forward as well, what burner are you planning on for the system?
We will be using the 11" hurricane / banjo style burners....running high pressure propane.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

Here is a sample panel diagram with one larger transformer and Love TS2 controllers. https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...79690350514498. It was designed for another application with pumps and valves, just have not had enough time to finish the one with gas plumbing as work load has been a bit extreme lately doing burner control repair and tuning for Bayer Crop Science, and keeping 14 people busy on an Intel campus.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
Here is a sample panel diagram with one larger transformer and Love TS2 controllers. https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...79690350514498. It was designed for another application with pumps and valves, just have not had enough time to finish the one with gas plumbing as work load has been a bit extreme lately doing burner control repair and tuning for Bayer Crop Science, and keeping 14 people busy on an Intel campus.
Thanks Kevin....This is great!! Thank you!! I appreciate everything you have helped with.

Our kettles arrived today.....wow are they shiny!! Of course I had to assemble everything and get them on the brew stand for a photo op. I threw my keggle near the boil kettle for a size reference.
Click image for larger version

Name:	kettles1.jpg
Views:	11234
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	49680   Click image for larger version

Name:	kettles2.jpg
Views:	9883
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	49681   Click image for larger version

Name:	kettles3.jpg
Views:	15846
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	49682  

Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
kladue
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 45 Posts

You need something to raise the kettles off the frame so the fire can escape, I used 1" X 1/4" flat bar on edge to make a star shape support for the kettle bottom. This was placed on the supports to provide venting during operation, for kegs, a cutout in the skirt performs the same function. A second suggestion would be to block the opening under the valve and sight glass to save them from the flames. Here is a poor picture of what it looked like https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...08918816381522

Old 02-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladue View Post
You need something to raise the kettles off the frame so the fire can escape, I used 1" X 1/4" flat bar on edge to make a star shape support for the kettle bottom. This was placed on the supports to provide venting during operation, for kegs, a cutout in the skirt performs the same function. A second suggestion would be to block the opening under the valve and sight glass to save them from the flames. Here is a poor picture of what it looked like https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.l...08918816381522
Cool thanks!! I wasn't sure if I needed to raise the kettles up or not, but was prepared to test it after I got the burners mounted....Now I will just plan for it. I am liking that star pattern...seems very efficient in letting the flames escape 360 degrees.....I may just copy that....and I will definitely figure out a way to protect all the fittings.

Off to the drawing board!!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1892 Times on 1478 Posts

Man, those kettles are serious eye candy!

If I may I ask a question about the Honeywell 8610 modules, why do they provide a spark ignition to light a pilot flame to then light the main burner - and not just spark-ignite the main burner and leave out the whole pilot flame thing?

Just curious. It seems like a "belt and suspenders" approach, but then I have zero background in gas burner technologies...

Cheers!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
Jaybrinks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
Man, those kettles are serious eye candy!

If I may I ask a question about the Honeywell 8610 modules, why do they provide a spark ignition to light a pilot flame to then light the main burner - and not just spark-ignite the main burner and leave out the whole pilot flame thing?

Just curious. It seems like a "belt and suspenders" approach, but then I have zero background in gas burner technologies...

Cheers!
It's a valid question.....Hopefully Kladue will chime in on this....I remember reading an explanation...but I would not be able to do it justice with my feeble explanation...?