Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > lots'o honey hefe

Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 14

That is what I meant... what starches... wheat can convert itself, all of them can convert themselves and then some. Wheat is not an adjunct....

Pol

Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Malted wheat has nearly as much enzyme as 2-row. Flaked wheat does not have enzymes.
As was mentioned, if you use large amounts of wheat you may have problems sparging. Wheat does not have the husks like barley. If you use more than 50% wheat you may consider adding some rice hulls.
Craig

Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #13
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Rice hulls, eh? About how much should I use with this amount of wheat?(also, the malted wheat thing got me thinking, is rye malted too?, little off topic but what the heck! )
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 05-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #14
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Rye can be malted or not malted, just like wheat, it depends on what kind you buy. Flaked rye is not malted, rye malt, well...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You're going to add lemon juice to the secondary? I think that's a bad idea.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the honey? Why not use some honeymalt?