Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Quick Sour Saison

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I bottled this yesterday. I decided to blend it together. The dupont portion had a great yeast flavor that the ECY03 half slightly lacked. So I bottled up a 9L bottle, a 3L bottle, 1.5cases of 750s, case of grolsch, and a hand full of mixed bottles. I'll try one in a week or two to see how it tastes carbonated and chilled. I was happy with the initial results though.
9L bottle?!?! Very nice.

Are you using thick walled bottles for the ECY03 blend? Or are you not really worried about that?

Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah I've got a system of sorts for my bottling strategy. I take the weight of the bottle in grams and divide it by the volume in mL. If the ratio gets me to about .7 I will bottle over 3volumes. If a bottle is under I use it for IPAs and lower carbed beers so basically all American long necks I'll only bottle UP to 3 volumes.

This batch was bottled in a mix of corked belgian bottles, crown belgian bottles (ala Jolly Pumpkin), Grolsch green bottles, and champagne bottles. It should end up between 3 and 4 volumes of CO2.

Also yes these 9L and 3L bottles are champagne bottles. I bought a couple empty display bottles for the purpose of parties. I'm opening this 9L on the day of my college graduation party. I'm bottling up a 6L bottle of my soured wit for my friend who's having a masters graduation party. The 3L are realistic for 3-4 people to drink in a night, but the 6L and up needs to be a party!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #23
smokinghole

Recipes 

There's the pic of the bottle family. The 6L is empty at the moment but I should have it filled by the end of the week with a soured wit. That's 9L down to 375ml. The 9L is equal to 12 - 750ml bottles.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #24
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

It looks like a lot of beer but once you think about how much 9L is in pint glasses it's really not much as much as you think. About 14 pint glasses. A lot for one person but not crazy for a decent party. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) than bringing a keg or a party pig to a party. Plus it looks awesome.

I bought one of the 9L bottles of Chimay Blue for my blow out party after I take the bar next February. I don't plan on refilling the bottle, it's going to go up as a trophy. I got a really good deal on it but it's definitely not the most affordable way to buy beer. I could have bought the same amount of beer in 750ml bottles for a little more than half the sale price on the 9L bottle. But the 9L bottle will look awesome in my bar (someday).

Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
smokinghole

Recipes 

I completely agree. It's a case of the wow factor, not really a ton of beer. It is a single bottle that weighs in at 2.4 gal almost and weighs 35lbs. My wife and I like having parties so this was just a cool thing to get and use for planned events. I think I'm going to build some sort of hinged cradle to lock the bottle in and serve from so I or someone else doesn't have to hold it and risk dropping the bottle.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
smokinghole

Recipes 

So it's been three weeks since bottling this beer. I drank a couple of them by now and I'm actually rather pleased with how it came out. It has a very light acidity with a minimal hops bitterness to balance the beer. It's going to be a great summer beer and I can't wait to open the 9L bottle at my party.

If anyone plans on making it definitely go with the Dupont strain. It makes the great flavors to mix with the sourness. It's not sour like my spent saison I did with ECY20 but it's a lemony yogurt sourness. It's rather nice and considering the time it took to make, I might just do this again sometime.
People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 11:55 PM   #27
smokinghole

Recipes 

Little bit of a blast from the past. I was at a friends house that I had given a bottle of this beer. Well this beer and a sour cherry juice spiked quad. He had tried opening one of these corked bottles and couldn't get the cork out so he never tried the beers. Today he said "hey do you want these bottles" and so I took home an unopened bottle of this and the cherry quad. This saison has help up nicely has a good brett character from the ECY03 and the light tartness from the acidulated malt. If I ever do it again I'd add considerably more acidulated malt as a second addition to the mash and I used nearly 25% in this beer. The beer is fairly low gravity though so when it comes to the amount of malt that I used, I would say, a percentage isn't the fairest manner to gauge the malt impact. If I brewed up a saison to be more like 7% and used 25% acidulated malt it'd have more lactic acid added just because of the grain weight.