Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ever put Figs in Beer?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 252 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I recently did a dark Saison with figs. I chopped the figs (and some dates) up, carmelized them in a pan and deglazed with red wine, pureed it all up and added to the last 5 minutes of boil.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
xjmox14x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
I recently did a dark Saison with figs. I chopped the figs (and some dates) up, carmelized them in a pan and deglazed with red wine, pureed it all up and added to the last 5 minutes of boil.
You cannot possibly make a statement like that and not follow up with how it tasted!

Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
timewasted
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
You cannot possibly make a statement like that and not follow up with how it tasted!
And pictures.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
I like it a lot.

It also had some local organic honey toward the end of the boil. I think it has some of the stone fruit complexity of a belgian quad, but it was fermented with 3711 so its nicely dry and not overly sweet. I have another 5 gallons of it that got a less attenuative Belgian sacch strain and some Brett B that is starting to get a little funky, but it has a few months to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewasted View Post
And pictures.
I think I could be persuaded to have one of these tonight and snap a pic

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #15
johnbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I just got into being but have been thinking about using figs too. My wife cooks a pork tenderloin stuffed with dried figs. I also grew up in Fresno. The only place we teens could drink beer was the fig orchards.

I was thinking maybe a fig Christmas Stout. I'll watch this thread to learn whether adding at end of boil or putting in secondary yields better results.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2908 Times on 2516 Posts
Likes Given: 2052

Yeah,I was musing on that fact myself. It'd be a great flavor in the right ale at the right part of the process.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #17
CPFITNESS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i did a gelato making class with my gf back in december and one of the flavors we made was fig and tequila which sounded kinda strange to everyone in the class but it turned out to be one of the best tasting. I'm wondering if you just cut u p the figs and soak them in tequila then add them to you secondary? I'm a noob so no friggin idea if that would work

Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Yeah,I was musing on that fact myself. It'd be a great flavor in the right ale at the right part of the process.
I chose to add them to the boil because I didn't want to deal with those seeds in a fermenter, but I don't see why you couldn't add them at a secondary stage.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2908 Times on 2516 Posts
Likes Given: 2052

Maybe in a muslin grain sack or two to keep'em contained? I hate small seeds like from berries in my teeth.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Zalf
Recipes 

Thanks a lot.

Now I can't rest until I find 8lbs of figs to freeze and rack on top of!