Properly connecting 3/8" Vinyl Tube to Soft Drawn Copper Loop - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Properly connecting 3/8" Vinyl Tube to Soft Drawn Copper Loop

Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Saboral
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Warrenton, Virginia
Liked 104 Times on 66 Posts

I'm finally putting my tap in my bar, approximately 25' from the keezer. I am planning to use a water cooling setup, but the only thing I want to be sure of is that I don't end up with leaks at the joint between the copper tower coil I'm producing and the vinyl coolant lines in the trunk. Can I generally achieve a water tight connection by just fitting the vinyl over the smooth wall of the soft drawn tubing or will I need some sort of flare or barb? Are compression fittings available?

Co-Founder - Warrenton Brewer's Guild

Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
horseinmay
Recipes 

May 2011
Lakewood, California
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

You could either put the tubing on the copper and secure it with a hose clamp, or for a more secure fit, use a compression fitting x hose barb on the copper and slip the hose onto the barb and secure it with a hose clamp.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
Saboral
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Warrenton, Virginia

I appreciate the reply, I realize it was kind of stupid. I just couldn't think if I had seen a compression fitting of that type before.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
horseinmay
Recipes 

May 2011
Lakewood, California
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I don't know if there is such a fitting. You might have to add a few things together. Compression x female thread + male thread x hose barb.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

I'd just pick up a cheap flaring kit and put a bit of a flare on the end of the copper. This ensures that the line can't pull off. Of course, you can be pretty sure if you just double up on the worm clamp as long as you're not putting any real pressure on it.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
spearko520
Recipes 

Dec 2011
allentown, PA
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseinmay View Post
I don't know if there is such a fitting. You might have to add a few things together. Compression x female thread + male thread x hose barb.
+1 - that's the dealy. comp x fpt and fpt x barb. you can go flare x fpt, but then you need to know how to flare- and flare joints are notoriously fickle

Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Saboral
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2012
Warrenton, Virginia

I got it installed yesterday with no barb or flare. Just three spring clamps and it sealed. Thanks for the advice if I get a leak I'll throw on the fitting I bought. It was just harder to insulate around all those parts.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ponchatoula, LA
Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts

I use coarse sandpaper to scuff the copper to create shallow grooves around the tubing. I warm the vinyl in a cup of hot water and then use a pair of pex/oetiker style clamps on each connection.