Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Looking for automated temp control help?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
SantaClaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking for automated temp control help?

I created this thread in the equipment/sanitation thread, but someone recommended this section so I thought I'd post it here too:

Hey all,

I' have a single tier stand (Brutus 10-esque), and been brewing for about a year on it successfully. Problem is I do not have it automated right now; I do all the temp control manually. The system works just fine like this, but as long as I have the stand I might as well have it automated.

When I was initially constructing the stand I researched solenoids (asco valves) etc... but was scared away by some threads on here warning about asco being dangerous to use w/ LP (gasket failure...). Instead I purchased a few Honeywell furnace valves, which some folks recommended. I currently have Honeywell VR8200A 2124 (Dual valve standing pilot combination gas control valves). Problem is I do not understand how to install them and am a little freaked out about winging it. The whole propane + electricity + potentially liquid+ my inexperience = has me a little intimidated.

Does anyone on here have these valves? And if you do could you help walk me through installation?

Should I sell these valves and pick up a few asco's? I've seen a lot of pictures of stands w/ asco valves and would imagine they work just fine. Are asco's easier to plumb?

Even better is there anyone in the Chicago area w/ a temp controlled setup that wouldn't mind making a few bucks, high-end craft beer, delicious food/etc... and could physically help me set this thing up?

I've seen some schematic diagrams showing the wiring, but I'm not an electrician and those drawing don't do a lot for me. I'd like to get this thing all geared out, I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan