National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > eHLT recirculation pump

Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
mizzourah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default eHLT recirculation pump

I'm trying to figure out a cheaper way to recirc my eHLT and without using a propellor or stirring mechanism. I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160560267427...#ht_1376wt_902

One potential problem I'm seeing is its DC and not AC. Is this a problem or does anyone see any other problems?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Why not get a real brewing pump like a chugger, march or little giant? I bought a used little giant for not much more than that pump

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It is rated to 176*, so you will be right up at the maximum design limit when you heat sparge water. I might be concerned that it would impact the expected life of the pump if you consistently bump against the max temps.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[QUOTE=J I bought a used little giant for not much more than that pump[/QUOTE]

Question, im looking for a cheaper alternative as well and wondering where you found a used pump, seems no one is getting rid of them and I dont want to spend 150 for a pump

Note on the OP I think it should work if you are using it just for your mash, even if you use it for the boil as well, as a lot of times it cost a lot extra for the certification for the higher temps, so although it says 80C it probably works higher just fine, its just a factor of safety thing. With that said i wouldnt push it just in case, Im looking at something similar to get circulation for mashing and cooling, and since i can wait until it drops with cooling then turn it on this will work for me.
Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 02-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Windsors
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Chugger with a plastic head and a LG 3-MD-MT-HC that I am selling. PM if interested.

Bill

Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Do A search for Bubbler recirculation, or something like that. I tried a quick search but did not get any thing for you.
Basically the idea is to have a stainless tube with and aquarium air bubbler at the bottom, as the air bubble up through the tube it causes the water at the top to fall to the bottom of the tube creating a curent. Very cheep and easy way to go. There are some people on this board who have posted about it. so look around Im sure you will find it.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe View Post
It is rated to 176*, so you will be right up at the maximum design limit when you heat sparge water. I might be concerned that it would impact the expected life of the pump if you consistently bump against the max temps.
+1

There's also no mention of food-safe. It seems to be meant to be used for non food uses.

It probably cannot also be throttled like a March pump can (which has magnetic drive) so you probably have to be very careful when using it and always open any valves before turning on the pump.

Kal