LME Score! - Pouring LME out of a pail? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > LME Score! - Pouring LME out of a pail?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Olympia, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Stopped by my LHBS and their carboy of Briess LME was empty. Then I saw a 60 lbs pail of the stuff and said, "How about this thing? Can I have some of this?"

They said "Well, that thing is all or nothing. In fact, it was special ordered for a guy who never picked it up. We can sell it to you for 15% off to get it out of here."

Came out to $93.50, or $1.56 a pound! The LHBS normally sells LME for $2.10 a pound.

Only problem is getting the LME out of the pail. I tried pouring from the bail into a large bowl on my scale, but the huge syrup ribbon ended up all over one side of the pail and it was a pain to clean off. I tried scooping LME out of the bail using a sanitized pyrex measuring cup, but that was also a pain.

Any tips on how to best get the LME from the pail and into a vessel on a scale before dumping into the boil?

Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
BigB

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Did you try using a bottling bucket with the spigot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May 2009
Los Angeles
Liked 481 Times on 389 Posts

This is exactly why I never use LME when I brewed extract. It is a total pain to measure out smaller portions of. When I design a recipe with LME in it, I always design it to use a full package (i.e. 3.3 lbs) of LME so I don't have to worry about it.

The spigot sounds like a decent way to go, although that would still be painful to clean, I'd think.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Rbeckett

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Bronson, Fl
Liked 70 Times on 49 Posts

Have you ever used a can tipper? We used them in industry to lay a drum on its side and dispense oils and lubricants. Its pretty basic and elimintaes the holding everything still while trying to pour issues. If nothing else install a spigot in the barrel and lay it on its side on an elevated platform with the spigot hanging over the edge and fill jugs or bowls easilly. Dont forget to open the breather at the top of the drum to prevent glugging and make sure to close both tight when done and stand drum baxk up. Your golden!!!
Bob

Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Olympia, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

i think I'll work with a partner and fill up as many 7.5# containers as I can find all at once so at least I don't have to worry about this while trying to get a boil going...

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #6
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Canton, ME
Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
This is exactly why I never use LME when I brewed extract. It is a total pain to measure out smaller portions of. When I design a recipe with LME in it, I always design it to use a full package (i.e. 3.3 lbs) of LME so I don't have to worry about it.
Agreed!

Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
brewfan23
Recipes 

Nov 2011
none, Oh

get a pump dispenser.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I would get heavy duty gallon size zip locks and pour into each one by one. Then at the end, I would simply way the bucket when I'm brewing a batch that requires 5 lbs of it and rinse it out into the kettle with hot wort, then reweigh the bucket and add the rest from the ziplocks. It is probably best to store the ziplocks in the fridge since there is 60 lbs there.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
BigB

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Shelby Twp, MI
Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
The spigot sounds like a decent way to go, although that would still be painful to clean, I'd think.
Good point... that would be a major PITA to clean up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #10
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Liked 1319 Times on 1011 Posts

I have used the 60 lb pails of LME. Use a large soup ladle and scoop from the pail to your container sitting right next to, or better yet held slightly over the rim of the pail. Any ribbons of LME will fall back into the pail. You cant pour it...hah...that's for sure.