CT Brewers Check-In

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Thought it would be good to have a thread where all CT homebrewers could check in.

Maybe use this thread to post up if you're having a brewday where locals could drop by.

I'm John. I live in Hamden.

Hi.

Greetings from Middletown! I'm a nooob, been brewing just a few weeks now with three batches in.

Alchemy said:
a Spiedel Braumeister :ban::ban:

Nice I was going to get one but I decided to build an eherms system. It's taking a while to get it built. But I'm hoping to finish up my control box and spa panel this weekend

Nice I was going to get one but I decided to build an eherms system. It's taking a while to get it built. But I'm hoping to finish up my control box and spa panel this weekend

wish i had the skill/patience to build my own.

Brewing 10 gallons of IPA tomorrow evening. I'd open an invite, but I already have 3-4 people coming by, and my garage is pretty small.

Check out the site for the CT Beer Trail. There is a group for hmoebrewing in CT. There are a couple clubs that posted in that thread.

Ooh that sounds good.

You folks brew indoors or out? I learned a lesson last weekend in doing a 10 gallon batch of IPA.

In the winter, especially when windy, my burner is less efficient and it takes longer to get to a boil. I took a hit on my OG because my boil off rate isn't the same. Also, my mash temp was 5F cooler than intended.

I mash inside during the winter, but I boil outside unless its bonechilling cold or very windy. I can boil on my gas stove , but its underpowered . During my last brew, the wind picked up and blew out my burner 4 times. Actually ran out of propane with 5 minutes left. I'm sure it'll be good though.

I have an all electric system. I heat my garage in the morning with a propane heater and it's warm all day long!!!

Rig.jpg

Ooooh, poobah... one of these days I'm switching to electric and I will pick your brain...
(oh and Danbury here... brewing Sunday!)

Poobah58 said:
I have an all electric system. I heat my garage in the morning with a propane heater and it's warm all day long!!!

Hey poohbah. I'm in the middle of my build now. Any assistance or build advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a single PID two 5500w camco heating elements EHERMS system. Just finish up my control box and spa panel. Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach my heating elements. Did you go weldless, silver solder or welded?

I'll post more pics. Right now I have weldless fittings. I also have a dual RIMS! I use tri-clamp fittings so I can easily remove the elements for cleaning. I use all ultra low watt density elements.

Hey poohbah. I'm in the middle of my build now. Any assistance or build advice would be greatly appreciated. It's a single PID two 5500w camco heating elements EHERMS system. Just finish up my control box and spa panel. Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach my heating elements. Did you go weldless, silver solder or welded?
What are you using to turn on 2 elements with 1 PID? Are you running at 240 or 120v? Hope you've done the proper calculations for current ratings for your parts and wire...

Using the auber 2352 with 240. I used all 10 gauge wiring. I used a diagram that PJ set me up with. PJ was also nice enough to walk me through the control box build. I also wired up a spa panel for gfci protection. The spa panel will plug into a 3 wire dryer outlet and the control box will plug into a 4 wire outlet hooked up to the spa panel. I plan on testing the control box and spa panel this weekend without the elements connected. And test the rtd probe.

Something doesn't add up. 5500w/240v = 22.9 amps. That's 46 amps for 2 heaters. 10 gauge aint gonna cut it! How many breakers do you have? What amp rating? Do you have 1 or 2 contactors? Care to share that drawing? I have 4 heaters but I use 3 breakers and I can get away with 10 gauge wire (barely)....

I brew with an all-electric HERMS system in Westport, CT. Just brewed 10 gallons of porter today which I'll later divide and infuse one part with cocunut and another with Kona coffee. Just tapped my first Brett beer after 17 months of aging. Looking forward to meeting others.

Poobah58 said:
Something doesn't add up. 5500w/240v = 22.9 amps. That's 46 amps for 2 heaters. 10 gauge aint gonna cut it! How many breakers do you have? What amp rating? Do you have 1 or 2 contactors? Care to share that drawing? I have 4 heaters but I use 3 breakers and I can get away with 10 gauge wire (barely)....

I don't have a pic right now but I'll post one tomorrow. Both elements can not be fired up simultaneously though. Not sure if that makes a difference

makisupa said:
I brew with an all-electric HERMS system in Westport, CT. Just brewed 10 gallons of porter today which I'll later divide and infuse one part with cocunut and another with Kona coffee. Just tapped my first Brett beer after 17 months of aging. Looking forward to meeting others.

Post a pic of your rig. I can't wait till mine is finished

Can't read a word of it but looks like your OK. What is that device in the upper left corner that has a hot and a ground wire? You should probably fuse the other leg of the 220 line. Not crazy where he placed the other fuse either. The lines going to the SSR and elements are not fused! Maybe it's done externally before it gets into the panel?

Latest posts

Back