Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Hoppy Mead ?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
Oakwoodforge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hoppy Mead ?

I used the search, but could not find any recipes for Hoppy meads, any one have a suggestion ?
I was just going to do a basic semi dry mead using lavin D-47 yeast, Yeast nutrient, 9 lbs of wild flower honey 3 lbs buckwheat honey 1 cup of OJ for the acid , and adding 3 or more Oz of Cascade hops , and see what happens.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
TheBrewingMedic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't ventured into the hopped meads yet myself but there are a few threads out there, havent fully read through it yet so not sure hopw much help itll provide you...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/hops-mead-262138/

also look under metheglin since I'd think using hops would put you into that category

Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
cbraun77s
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors...have you made a traditional mead first to determine that flavor?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
Oakwoodforge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made quite a few meads since becoming gluten intolerant, these are my favorite commercial versions ( use Google Chrome's translator to view - as the website is only in danish )
Dansk Mjd
http://www.mjod.dk/node/12
Viking Blod Mjd
http://www.mjod.dk/node/48
Back when I used to be able to have beer I was a total hop head. Looking for that same Hoppy experience with the honey from my Bees

Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
OpenContainer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbraun77s View Post
I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors.
I kind of have this thought in my head as well. I'm just not sure that a hoppy mead is something that sounds good.

My specialty store has two bottles of commercial hopped Methaglin that I've been meaning to try out to see if I like it. It's rather pricey though and I have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
TheModestMeader
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is a recipe for a "hoppy mead"

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/autu...braggot-82552/

I think when you add hops to mead its also/technically known as mead. But I only have about 5 weeks/1 batch of mead making under my belt so I could be mistaken

Old 02-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #7
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbraun77s View Post
I have made many other metheglins, but not with hops....i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors...have you made a traditional mead first to determine that flavor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenContainer View Post
I kind of have this thought in my head as well. I'm just not sure that a hoppy mead is something that sounds good.

My specialty store has two bottles of commercial hopped Methaglin that I've been meaning to try out to see if I like it. It's rather pricey though and I have a hard time pulling the trigger.
Oh ye of little faith!!! Hop metheglin is indeed awesome, if I do say so myself...

For the OP: unless all you plan to do is dry hop, you may have to become a heretic and <gasp> boil a portion of your honey in order to have a vehicle to extract bitterness. I both boil a solution of water and half my honey, and dry hop after primary. I suppose there's plenty of room to experiment here too...you could perhaps heat only to beer sparge temps (~180*F) and do a sort of "first must hopping." Regardless, in order to get any bittering you will need some heat.

I do think you need some residual sweetness, so you may need to be prepared to stabilize and backsweeten. I think a FG after backsweetening of about 1.010-1.012 is about perfect
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet, Wild Cider, Simple Cyser
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 02-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
OpenContainer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Oh ye of little faith!!! Hop metheglin is indeed awesome, if I do say so myself...
I did buy one of the bottles last night and tossed it in the refrigerator. Planning on sampling it tonight.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Robusto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
i don't believe it woud be the greatest mix of flavors
the Viking Blod hybiscus and hop mead is delicious! I am planning on making something along thoes lines soon... mmmmm hops....

Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Tyrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's called T'ej. It's the national drink of Ethiopia. /shudder (just because I loathe Ethiopian food everytime I've had the misfortune to try it).

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/T'ej

Reason: added url