HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Summer Shandy Recipe CO2 Volumes

Old 02-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Default Summer Shandy Recipe CO2 Volumes

Hey guys,
I've read all the posts about using powder lemonade mix at bottling for creating a shandy style beer but I still have questions regarding the amount of sugar to use WITH the lemonade mix.

Here's my calculations:
  • 5 gallons of Wheat Beer at 4.0 volumes of CO2 = 252.6 g of corn sugar (Dextrose)
  • 5 packets of Lemonade have 90 g of sugar (18 g per packet)

So, I'd add:
162.6 g of Dextrose + 5 packets of lemonade (90 g of sugar) = 252.6 g total?

Does this seem like I am in the correct ball park?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2628 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Idk,4V may be taxing the bottles' co2 limits. when we/she brewed my Summer Shandy recipe,we used a product called trulemon. It's crystalized lemon juice with no added sugar. They have trulime & truorange as well. It's in little packets in the box,2 packets equals 1TBSP fresh juice. And boy,does it smell/taste like it. I primed her shandy with 2C of boiled water to which I added 4.7oz dextrose (5.75G),& 12 packets of lemon crystal (=6 TBSP juice) together to prime with. It was a lil too much to taste the US Golding & Willamette hops. But rather,the 3 combined made for a lemon blossom tea sort of complexity.
But the recipe is very close in flavor to the Lienenkugel's version. It's in my recipes. I have a second batch brewing right now that I just pitched on late yesterday afternoon. Boy is that re-hydrated 15g cooper's ale yeast giving the blow off a workout!
Anyway,this time I'm cutting the 12 packets of Trulemon down to 10,making 5 TBSP juice. That should still give good lemon flavor,but let the floraly Willamette stand out a hair more. That floral,nectary lemon blossom thing was good.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So you primed like usual but just used the TruLemon? I'm guessing it gives a more natural lemon flavor as compared to Countrytime Lemonade.

I assume you used this on a 5 gallon batch?

I brewed a Weisenbier Brewers Best kit and was planning on using lemonade, but maybe I'll try this instead.

Anyone have an opinion about Lemonade mix vs TruLemon?

Old 02-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Idk,4V may be taxing the bottles' co2 limits. when we/she brewed my Summer Shandy recipe,we used a product called trulemon. It's crystalized lemon juice with no added sugar. They have trulime & truorange as well. It's in little packets in the box,2 packets equals 1TBSP fresh juice. And boy,does it smell/taste like it. I primed her shandy with 2C of boiled water to which I added 4.7oz dextrose (5.75G),& 12 packets of lemon crystal (=6 TBSP juice) together to prime with. It was a lil too much to taste the US Golding & Willamette hops. But rather,the 3 combined made for a lemon blossom tea sort of complexity.
But the recipe is very close in flavor to the Lienenkugel's version. It's in my recipes. I have a second batch brewing right now that I just pitched on late yesterday afternoon. Boy is that re-hydrated 15g cooper's ale yeast giving the blow off a workout!
Anyway,this time I'm cutting the 12 packets of Trulemon down to 10,making 5 TBSP juice. That should still give good lemon flavor,but let the floraly Willamette stand out a hair more. That floral,nectary lemon blossom thing was good.
Ok unionrdr,
I've bottled and ditched the country time lemonade for TruLemon. I used 10 packets like you suggested and can't wait to test it out.

I'll report back when it's ready. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
fatnoah
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

How did it turn out? How big is your batch 5gal?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

bump, update?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2628 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Well,as for myself,after drinking the second batch,12 packets of Trulemon was better. Maybe even 14 packets next time.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
BigBeer4All
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For mine I brewed 3 gal of wheat beer and added 2 gal of. Simply lemonade after 3 days in the primary. It has very little resemblance to lienenkugel, buts a deliciously tart, yet strong beer with nice tones of banana and clove iin the backgeound from the yeast.

primary: Man Land Shandy.

secondary: belgian tripel(forever)