Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > It's official starting my own brewing business!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:27 AM   #21
Reuben1012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgk View Post
do you plan on homebrewtalk members getting twofers?
+1

Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #22
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

I will actually be brewing on a keggle system so my plan is to do 10 gallon batches

Remember I am only going to be open 2 or 3 days a week, from say lunch till whenever the last customer leaves for the night but 1am would be the cutoff. As of now I plan on being the whole show no employees. I am not borrowing money. So by definition this will be starting out as a small business. In the beginning I will be overjoyed if revenues covers expenses.

I want it to be small so I can learn as I go and not make big mistakes or try to do too much. Greed is bad in my book. I believe if I build it right, make a quality product in a great atmosphere and then the rest will take care of itself. If I brew it they will come.

Calling it Middle Earth is kind of appropriate since the look and the vibe I am shooting for is a tavern like you read about in books like LOTR and the like. I am not meaning so much in looks but in the sense community and independence of being a small village tavern.

Locationwise I am 1 mile off the busiest road in Maine in the Summertime. I don't want to say too much about my location or ideas for company name ect. until I am incorporated. Just because I don't want anyone stealing my ideas.

By my figuring I can make it work. I have an MBA and I am going nights for a BS in Accounting. I won't get into numbers too much but I figure I could comfortably make 30 gallons every brew day 30 gallons = 3840 ounces = 240 pints give or take. But I am not going after quantity or heavy drinkers or drunks. It will be kind of like a Starbucks but with beer and BBQ. Eat some food drink a couple pints, socialize, read the paper, surf the net. Just selling beer by the pint, not selling kegs to bars etc. If I sell 240 pints in a day I will be very happy.

If I can sell more than I make than my business will be very successful and I will look at expanding brewing output. But until that day comes if it does I am going to do it my way. Small batches, with lots of time and care taken in the crafting of the brews and the food. Quality over quantity at a reasonable price not overcharging like so many place do.

It will be a lot of work but I enjoy that work and I have been doing it on a smaller scale for a couple years. Now I am just looking at adding more friends and they won't eat and drink for free I am sitting on 35 acres so there is lots of room to grow.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #23
akthor
Recipes 

And yes HBT'ers can have two fors, the least I can do for all I have learned and all the inspiration and help I have gotten here. Plus when I do open for all first time customers the first beer is free

Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #24
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Congratulations.
Looking forward to following your success

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
OG2620
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How do you plan to live upstairs and brew downstairs? As far as I know, the TTB doesn't allow a brewery to be located within a dwelling.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #26
sakeyfour
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Asked where in ME not what is ME. I am from Maine as well, which is why I wanted to know.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 AM   #27
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

subscribed... I would like to do something similar someday!

Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
OG2620
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakeyfour
Asked where in ME not what is ME. I am from Maine as well, which is why I wanted to know.
Me too.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 AM   #29
akthor
Recipes 

Mid-Coast Maine

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #30
dgriffith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1