First! - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South Central Homebrew Forum > First!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
ALCUL8R
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Walton, Kansas

I'm just outside of Walton, but do more with wine. Have only made 20 gal or so of beers.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #22
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Derby, Kansas
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Wichita! I would enjoy seeing what others do. A few friends and I started brewing beer, but mostly have gotten info from the internet and youtube videos. Still, our three beers have been pretty decent.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #23
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Derby, Kansas
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just found out about this...

http://www.wichitahomebrewers.org/

Regular meetings, contests, think I'll check it out.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
GreenDragon

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Wichita, KS
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Scottsaxman, yeah the WHO meets monthly. We meet in an anex of the brewery/pizza place on Tyler. The WHO also has a facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/wichitahomebrewers

I've been brewing for about 1.5 years now.. I "think" I'm getting the hang of it. My oatmeal stout scored a 42 at the NHC. I've now gotten two of my friends hooked on home brewing
Bottled: Summer Dea Wheat

Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #25
schmidty65
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Olathe, KS
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm in Olathe. Just saw this thread. How many folks on the KS side of the state line here in KC?

ON TAP!: Vanilla Porter, Hoppy Wheat
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
--Beer:
--Wine:
Kegged:
--Saison
Drinking:
--Beer: Rye IPA, Irish Ale, Saison, Doppelbock, Winter Warmer, Bavarian Dunkel, Honey Brown Ale
--Wine: Spanish Rioja, Chocolate Raspberry Port, NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Up next: Winter Warmer, English Ale, and maybe DFH 90 Clone

Old 07-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #26
snickers104
Recipes 

Jun 2012
cimarron, kansas

I'm in Cimarron..all the way out west...I think I'm the only one in SW Kansas that does homebrew!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #27
scottsaxman
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Derby, Kansas
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

One of the Wichita homebrew club members is from Dodge City. You are not entirely alone out there!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #28
chessking
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Aurora, Co
Liked 119 Times on 82 Posts

Hey Kansas, I'm currently in the beer paradise of Colorado, but lived in KS for many years. Kinsley, Larned, Lyons, Buhler, Nickerson, And Hutchinson. When I was there, brewing supplies were hard to find and I found myself Mail ordering (before the internet) from the Brew Hut In Aurora. SWMBO and I have considered retiring in Hutchinson, and I am wondering what the home brewing community is like now. Especially in Hutch. Where do you get your supplies, and is there a decent brew pub, or other establishment that serves good craft beer. If all you got is BMC, than I might as well stay here. I appreciate any feedback, and I do miss the wheat. Cheers.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #29
Swifty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Salina, Ks
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Chessking, I had a message typed up n then thought it was overly critical of Hutch. Then luck would have it, we went there this weekend. Hutch sucks. I grew up not too far outside of it and it's just got worse n worse. There are some good subculture kinds of things I saw but it didn't look like prosparity was coming any time soon.. Its better up north and we were looking for old furniture to modify for a house project on the southside. It looks like Tony Flores(sp) has a nice pocket around the anchor inn (pretty good Mexican food) but tough elsewhere.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
schmidty65
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Olathe, KS
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessking View Post
Hey Kansas, I'm currently in the beer paradise of Colorado, but lived in KS for many years. Kinsley, Larned, Lyons, Buhler, Nickerson, And Hutchinson. When I was there, brewing supplies were hard to find and I found myself Mail ordering (before the internet) from the Brew Hut In Aurora. SWMBO and I have considered retiring in Hutchinson, and I am wondering what the home brewing community is like now. Especially in Hutch. Where do you get your supplies, and is there a decent brew pub, or other establishment that serves good craft beer. If all you got is BMC, than I might as well stay here. I appreciate any feedback, and I do miss the wheat. Cheers.
You should consider a bit north and retire in Manhattan; it's really becoming a nice place (it's had good growth since I was in college in the late 80s), and Tallgrass Brewery is there. Not entirely sure about homebrew shops, as I live in Olathe (which has several). Worst-case would be Topeka, but I think I heard about a shop in Manhattan somewhere...

ON TAP!: Vanilla Porter, Hoppy Wheat
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
--Beer:
--Wine:
Kegged:
--Saison
Drinking:
--Beer: Rye IPA, Irish Ale, Saison, Doppelbock, Winter Warmer, Bavarian Dunkel, Honey Brown Ale
--Wine: Spanish Rioja, Chocolate Raspberry Port, NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Up next: Winter Warmer, English Ale, and maybe DFH 90 Clone