Buddy says my homebrew gives him headaches... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Buddy says my homebrew gives him headaches...
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Beerens
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Troy, Michigan
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My friend is a rather experienced beer drinker and he says that when he drinks my homebrew he claims that he has more hangovers than when he drinks the same amount of non-homebrewed beer. I control my fermentation temperatures and to this point have only brewed ales. I tend to ferment at 62 - 68 degrees. Any ideas what is going on with my beers. I have seen other posts about green beer causing headaches, but I let them ferment out, sit, and then force carb for two weeks. I am pretty sure it is not fusal alcohols because of the fermentation control. What can it be?!?!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
two_hearted
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts

yeast allergy?

I have seen several threads like this and to my knowledge there is not really a clear cut answer.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
mistercameron
Recipes 

Jan 2011
SD, Ca
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Just one thought - the same volume of home brew will probably have quite a bit more alcohol than your average BMC if that's the comparison he's making.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Tomball, TX
Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts

Do you ferment at higher temps? I read on here that higher temps lead to fusel alcohols, which will indeed cause headaches. There's a lot more science to it, so I hope someone here can chime in and give you the lowdown.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
dbrewski
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Indeterminate
Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
Just one thought - the same volume of home brew will probably have quite a bit more alcohol than your average BMC if that's the comparison he's making.
+1, this was my thought too. It has more alcohol than whatever he's used to drinking ("experienced beer drinker"...is that a job description?). If you beer tastes good to you, that's what matters.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron
This is what I was thinking. I get into trouble at beer festivals because I drink too many high gravity beers when I'm used to 6-7 percent.
Primary: Air
Next Up: Belgian Pale Ale

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
http://twitter.com/illmanneredbeer
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
RyanWeary
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Dallas, TX
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's odd because I'm the exact opposite. When I enjoy a few too many I usually am sluggish the next morning, but not headaches or any pain. I'm just lethargic. But, after some bacon, eggs, coffee and a shower I'm good.

Primary: German Pils
Secondary: Belgian Abbey Ale
On Tap: House Pale Ale

Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
rockfish42
Recipes 

Jun 2010
Merced, CA
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

It's also problematic if you have a kegging setup, I know my friends lose the ability to gauge how much they'd had without bottles or cans to count. My russian roommate almost killed himself with my BIPA.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
unionrdr
Author?,...whaaa?

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3510 Times on 3020 Posts

I got to agree with you on that,ryan. I'm a little lethargic the next morning myself. But coffee (redneck rocket fuel,mind you) & breakfast & I feel better. I wonder if it's not just the higher ABV,but the fact that it's a cleaner form of ethanol than the chemical ridden,heavy adjunct lagers he's used too? I noticed the buzz from HB is cleaner feeling,& doesn't last as long,nor as heavy.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3161 Times on 1871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercameron View Post
This is my thought as well. You say he's an experienced beer drinker, but not what kind....an experienced bmc drinker, and a craft beer drinker who thinks nothing of polishing up a bomber of 10% barleyine are two different animals.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew