Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Possible to restore? Antique tap system

Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Mithranbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Possible to restore? Antique tap system

This antique bar with twp taps and a bunch of dry-rotted rubber hoses lives in my parents' house. My dad has never been a big beer guy, so has never looked into getting it working again. Now that I've started getting into homebrewing, I can't think of anything cooler to do with my beer than getting it flowing through those taps. Does anyone have any experience cleaning / restoring equipment like this? One of the photos shows the coils in a rusty compartment behind the tap handles that to me seem to be an inline-cooling system where that chamber might be filled with ice. I would imagine all manner of gunk is in those coils - any idea of those could be cleaned? Replaced? Thanks for any input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	49081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	49082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	49083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	49084  

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2041 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 2919

Nice!

You could try some PBW to clean the insides of the coils as well as the faucets. http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-...s/PBWTech2.pdf

Are you looking to restore this to the original condition or modify it? I'm assuming the unit is not refrigerated.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Mithranbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is not refrigerated, but I don't think it's in the budget to modify things to that degree. Maybe if it was in my own house... But I was thinking more along the lines of putting a couple corny kegs in buckets of ice or something for a single event at a time.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2041 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 2919

That sounds like a great idea. The unit looks to be in very decent condition, just needs some cleaning. Down the road if you decide to upgrade it you could. I think I'd keep it in the original form as much as possible. Replacing the rotted tubing would just be normal upkeep maintenance.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wow, those faucets are interesting, wouldn't mind getting more details on those. Looks like it's essentially a jockey box, but it also looks like you can take it apart (if it's not frozen from age). I'd start to carefully take things apart and clean as you go. The cabinet/bar looks really good, the internals of the jockey box I would think would be pretty straight forward to clean and get functioning again.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
jberg440
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome!! Keep us posted on your progress!!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3463 Times on 2363 Posts
Likes Given: 2256

Wonder if you could insulate and add a mini fridge cooling system to that setup and make it into a kegerator?

Otherwise, replacing the coils with kegs and adding ice is a decent option.

I'm most interested in seeing how those faucets go together and if they are still working, or can be made useful again.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Mithranbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't know when I'll have a chance to get over there and really dig into this project, but when I do I'll be sure to post pictures of what I find. I think the plan for me now is to start gently trying to disassemble the system to clean and take pictures.
Homercidal: I think my plan wouldn't necessarily be to replace the coils with kegs on ice, I'd like to still use them for their original purpose if they are still viable, but if they are too far gone I think I could just bypass the "jockey box" and chill the keg more like you would at a frat party.
If I were to do a kegerator, I think I'd put a mini-fridge behind or under the bar and run lines to the tap handles. This room does not see enough action currently to warrant a permanent refrigeration system to be installed.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
joshhearts
Recipes 

The faucets are made by Bishop and Babcock Manufacturing Company, Ohio. I have one exactly like them on an antique jockey box. Everything looks great, I would recommend testing for lead just in case if using the coils.

Also, I believe the company that made it is also the company the produced the faucets. Babcock Manufacturing Company, Ohio. Here is an example of a similar one... http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...eer-cooler-and