Helles Bock Helles In The Kitchen (Maibock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP833
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Diacetyl rest @ 60F
Additional Fermentation
Lager @ 38F
Tasting Notes
Malty with a little bitterness and spiciness, followed by a residual sweetness.
This beer is named Helles In The Kitchen because, the first time I made it, I had an absolute disaster when I went to cool the beer. It was my first time using a plate chiller and let's just say the hose I chose to lead from the boil pot to the chiller was not quite sturdy enough. I somehow closed a ball valve with hot wort spurting everywhere and saved the brew, but SWMBO was not happy and cleanup was especially painful that day. The reward for my hard fought beer, though, was incredible. I don't generally like lagers, but I cannot stop drinking this beer. It is just so. damn. good.

Grains

10.0 lb. Pilsner Malt
4.0 lb. Munich Malt 10L

Hops

0.5 oz. Magnum (14%) - 60 min.
0.6 oz. Saaz (4%) - 20 min.
0.6 oz. Hallertauer (4.8%) - 20 min.

Yeast

WLP833 - I use two vials and make a big starter.

Mash

Single infusion at 156F. I batch sparge, but do whatever floats your boat.

Fermentation

My suggestion is to ferment at 50F with a diacetyl rest at the appropriate time. Then lager for 6-8 weeks at 38F.

Notes

Maibocks are really one of my favorite types of beer. The genesis for my love of this style was Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and I swear that the first time I pulled a sample of this bad boy, my immediate thought was, "Wow, in the same ballpark, and maybe even better!" I'm really proud of this beer and think it tastes great. Hope the recipe serves you well.

Back