Helles Bock Helles In The Kitchen (Maibock) - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Helles Bock Helles In The Kitchen (Maibock)

Old 02-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
heywolfie1015
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Los Angeles, California
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: WLP833   
Yeast Starter: Yes   
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5   
Original Gravity: 1.065   
Final Gravity: 1.014   
IBU: 30.7   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90   
Color: 7.7   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 50F   
Additional Fermentation: Lager @ 38F   
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Diacetyl rest @ 60F   
Tasting Notes: Malty with a little bitterness and spiciness, followed by a residual sweetness.   

This beer is named Helles In The Kitchen because, the first time I made it, I had an absolute disaster when I went to cool the beer. It was my first time using a plate chiller and let's just say the hose I chose to lead from the boil pot to the chiller was not quite sturdy enough. I somehow closed a ball valve with hot wort spurting everywhere and saved the brew, but SWMBO was not happy and cleanup was especially painful that day. The reward for my hard fought beer, though, was incredible. I don't generally like lagers, but I cannot stop drinking this beer. It is just so. damn. good.

Grains

10.0 lb. Pilsner Malt
4.0 lb. Munich Malt 10L

Hops

0.5 oz. Magnum (14%) - 60 min.
0.6 oz. Saaz (4%) - 20 min.
0.6 oz. Hallertauer (4.8%) - 20 min.

Yeast

WLP833 - I use two vials and make a big starter.

Mash

Single infusion at 156F. I batch sparge, but do whatever floats your boat.

Fermentation

My suggestion is to ferment at 50F with a diacetyl rest at the appropriate time. Then lager for 6-8 weeks at 38F.

Notes

Maibocks are really one of my favorite types of beer. The genesis for my love of this style was Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and I swear that the first time I pulled a sample of this bad boy, my immediate thought was, "Wow, in the same ballpark, and maybe even better!" I'm really proud of this beer and think it tastes great. Hope the recipe serves you well.