Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Need Diagram

Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
lectricbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need Diagram

Hey all. I'm a relative n00b here when it comes to electric brewing.

I'm wondering if anyone here has a diagram I could use to wire up my electric brewery.

I will be running this on 220~V...30A circuit.

I want to be able to eventually run both elements at the same time, but for now will only be running one at a time since I only have 30A service available.

The PID will control the element in my mashtun.

I've seen that you can build a control knob of sorts to control your boil kettle element. I like having this separate control from the PID. Yes, I know you can use some PIDs to control this, but I'd rather not.

Here's my parts list I have so far:

1x Waterproof project box to hold all electronics
1x 50A Spa panel
2x 5500W Camco elements
2x Float Switches (to make sure I dont dry fire my elements (yes, I know I shouldnt have to worry about that with ULW elements, but I want the protection))
2x 40A SSR's w/ heatsinks
2x 2-Pole, 30A, 120V Contactor
1x RTD for temp measurement
1x Auber PID
2x 40mm fans (for air circulation in panel)
2x 110v Chugger pumps

I also have all the wiring, quick disconnects, wire plugs/outlets I need for this.

Does anyone know of any wiring diagrams out there that might include most of these components to get me on the right track? I know just enough about electrical wiring to be dangerous, lol. If I had a schematic to get me started, I'm sure I could modify it to suit my needs if it's not perfect for me.

Thanks for any help you guys may be able to provide!

Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
lectricbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Or is there a repository for all of these diagrams I see that are made by PJ? I'm sure I could look at some of his existing setups and work something out. I couldnt find any single source for his diagrams.

*ALSO*, do I even need the contactors? That's the main component that is giving me trouble. Most circuits I see on here dont use SSR's AND contactors, only an SSR. This would make the wiring much simpler for me, but I want to do this right.