Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3rd times the charm

Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
MikeyLXT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3rd times the charm

I only started brewing last July and have a modest 7 batches under my belt. I gotta admit it has been a blast and a hell of a learning process. Each batch has gotten better and my friends/parents have loved my beer.

For Christmas I got a turkey fryer kit to take my brewing to the next step. My 1st 2 attempts using the fryer resulted in volumes that were way off and an OG either 10 points to high to 10 points to low. Not to mention i was having boil overs like crazy in my 7.5 gallon pot.

Well finally I got dialed in on the 3rd attempt. I was able to hit the sweet spot on my burner and kept a great rolling boil going the entire time. I didn't have the threats of constant boil overs like before and I hit my OG/volumes on the nose (even if i topped off with 1/3rd gallon of water). I still need to dial in the total water amount to start with in order to balance it with the LME additions.

Woke up this morning to a bubbling air lock. That IPA is gonna be delicious!!!

Next purchase will be something to keep my fermentation temps under control during the summer.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5748 Times on 4116 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

That's great!

I found that the more I brew, the more I love brewing. And the more I love brewing, the more "stuff" I have. Not to mention, the more beer I drink! It's an obsession, that's for sure.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans